You know how the song goes, “Baby it’s cold outside.” Well now that we are heading into December that song is coming true! If you want to do something with your family that is fun but warm, here are some ideas.
At the Movies – Taking the family to the movies can be expensive. Try going in the morning on the weekend. Many theaters offer matinee prices. Here are some family friendly films in theaters now!
- Wreck It Ralph – Walt Disney animators take us into the world of video games in this family friendly movie. Ralph is tired of being overshadowed by Fix-It Felix and decides its time to make some changes. He decides he’s tired of playing the bad guy all the time. Ralph goes against the rules and breaks out of his game and sets off on a journey to prove he has what it takes to be a hero. Ralph hops from video game to video game with unintended consequences. Can Ralph save the day and fix the problems he caused or will the arcade be destroyed?
- Rise of the Guardians – Did you know that Santa, Jack Frost, the Easter Bunny, the Sandman, and the Tooth Fairy have magical powers we did not know about? In this epic tale of good versus evil these powers are what these guardians need battle against an evil spirit known as Pitch. Pitch is determined to take over the world. Only by joining forces can the immortal Guardians protect the hopes, beliefs and imaginations of children everywhere. Can they work together to defeat Pitch?
Train Gardens – Want to avoid the malls but want to explore Christmas traditions? How about visiting a train garden! These popular displays arrive in the Maryland area once a year and then disappear when the Christmas season is over! So catch them while you can and enjoy a great activity with the family.
- Jarrettsville Volunteer Fire Company – This is the 31st year for this Harford County tradition. It is free but donations are accepted. Bonus for the family is after you visit the train garden you can see the fire trucks! Check the link for dates and times.
- Fire Museum of Maryland – Located in Lutherville this is a special place for our family. My husband and I had our wedding reception here in December and the train garden was a big hit with our guests. This year is a completely new design set in the 1950’s using O-scale models. Many famous Maryland landmarks are highlighted! Check the website for details. You will also be able to tour the fire museum while you are there!
- B & O Railroad – Have a grand time at this historic location with tons to do with the family. Enjoy a breakfast and train ride with Santa, tour the trains decorated for the season, see the model train garden holiday display, have your picture taken with Santa, or participate in some of the crafts. This is a wonderful family outing! See the website for details of events, times, costs and availability.