It makes great sense to debut the first ‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones’ trailer before ‘The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2.’ This is something that I have hoped for and suspected for a while but executive producer Martin Moszkowicz gave fuel to my belief with his recent tweet. “A first teaser for TMI should hit screen worldwide very shortly. If all work out well w/ the release of Breaking Dawn 2,” says Moszkowicz.
Monday night director Harald Zwart confirmed this information, saying ““I do know that our trailer is tied to Breaking Dawn.”
This is a very smart move on Sony Pictures part and I assume confirmation is awaiting the final approvals on the trailer. Though The Mortal Instruments and The Twilight Saga are different in many ways, they are very similar from a marketing standpoint.
1. They both appeal to the same audience, though many believe (myself included) that The Mortal Instruments has potential to attract a larger male audience than Twilight.
2. They both star Jamie Campbell Bower, though the Brit plays a major leading role in The Mortal Instruments. His presence and experience in franchise films is yet another wise reason to put this new hopeful franchise trailer before the final installment of Twilight.
3. Both films take a seemingly ordinary human girl and throw her into a fantastical world of the unbelievable.
4. Both films contain a “tragic” relationship.
5. Both films cater to an audience seeking stories from the fantasy/paranormal genres and are based on Internationally best selling young adult novels.
Perhaps the biggest similarity of these two series is the passionate and LARGE fanbases and these fandoms often overlap. The Twilight Examiner and Next Movie reporter, Amanda Bell is just one example of a fan that loves both series.
Many Entertainment networks and sites believe that The Mortal Instruments will be the next “big thing.” I believe that it will pave it’s own path than Twilight. Where both series have some similarities, they are also very different but are great at connecting fans with powerful and compelling characters and story.
What do you think will be in ‘The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones’ teaser trailer? Author Cassandra Clare, Sony Pictures and the passionate Mortal Instruments fandom are all very active in social media. I expect that there will be a big deal made out of the online release of the teaser before it hits theaters though nothing has been confirmed. Stay tuned for details!
Subscribe above to The Mortal Instruments Examiner and stay up on all related topics to the Internationally bestselling series by Cassandra Clare. You can also follow The Mortal Instruments Examiner on Facebook and Twitter.