Bizarre and strange Christmas gifts are something you might want to think about for that person on your list that is hard to please. On Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012, NPR analyzes the “lies that pop culture” tells the gift buying public in a comical look at what most people have come to believe would make the perfect Christmas gift. If you are in the market for a walk on the weird side this holiday with gift giving, pick up a zombie killer, breathalyzer key chain or Superman socks for that somewhat strange person on your Christmas list!
NPR reminds its readers that while music is playing and the kids look ecstatic when opening a box in which puppies pour out of, it’s not a gift anyone should really give, especially wrapping wise. “Opening a box full of distressed animals to find plenty of evidence of animal distress” is not the way to go. While it looks good on TV, you can’t put puppies in a box under the Christmas tree. It’s abusive to the poor little pups!
As far as looking outside in your driveway after you’re handed a small box with a key in it and find yourself gazing at a new car with a car size bow on it, this just doesn’t happen. It’s Lexus that makes this look like a Christmas tradition, but this is not how most people get a new car. These are just a couple of images that pop culture has given Christmas shoppers when depicting a perfect Christmas scene.
A real Christmas scene would have the living room littered with ripped wrapping paper and the kids climbing in and out of boxes that their expensive toys came in. The expensive toys would be discarded in the corner of the room and the Christmas tree would tilt to the point that the word “timber” should be on the tip of the parent’s tongues.
Getting real with Christmas gift giving can be fun and it doesn’t have to be expensive. The Huffington Post editors spent months “scouring the world” for weird gifts to give this holiday season and here is what they found:
Check out some of the Weirdest Items below and click here for the Huffington Post pictures of the products:
- Dog Lamp With Poop-shaped Floor Switch: A dog lamp that you step on the poop to turn on.
- Cheese Head Bed: A mattress shaped like a slice of cheese.
- Zombie Killer: Original called a “Trucker’s Friend” because it is an item that has many tools in one that a trucker might use.
- Pink Bunny Suit: Pink footie pajamas with a hood and ears for adults.
- Barking Door Alarm: This plays the sound of an angry dog when someone tries to forcefully open your door.
- UnderUps: Suspenders that go under your shirt so you don’t look like a throw-back from the 70s.
- Wine Rack Stealth Cooler Bra: This bra holds 25 ounces of alcohol and it comes with a rubber straw for sipping.
- CanBeGlobal: A can of air from any one of the fabulous cities around the world. Why not give that hard to buy for person a can of air from France, Italy or Spain?
- Weird Perfumes: With fragrances like Funeral Home, Dirt and Redhead in Bed.
- Shredder Scissors: They have five blades and shred the paper as you cut.
- Breathalyzer Keychain: Your own Breathalyzer on the end of a keychain. Blow into it after a few to make sure you’re alright to drive.
- Bloody Wall Mural: This is wallpaper that offers a morbid and bloody scene. You have to see it to believe it.
- Superman Socks: knee socks that look like Superman’s footwear for adults.
- ProToast Elite Toaster: This toaster singes your favorite NFL Team logo into your toast. This is a really cool item for a football fan.