Many people are preparing for winter and holidays. People are planning meals, decorating, shopping, making travel plans, and organizing. We want to enjoy the holidays, but we also want to save money and conserve energy by not using too many resources. Most importantly, we want to enjoy our time with family and friends.
It is encouraging knowing that we can enjoy this time of year and still save money and conserve resources. By protecting our environment we can ensure that we will be safe and healthy in the future, as well.
While we are decorating, choosing gifts, traveling, or sending holiday cards we can also make “green” choices. Below are ways to save energy and resources this holiday season.
Give Eco-friendly cards
- Buy cards and envelopes that can be recycled
- Make your own cards
- Substitute postcards with cards that need envelopes
- Purchase cards from recycled paper and non-toxic inks
Avoid extra packaging and disposable containers and eat sustainable foods
- Avoid extra packaging by purchasing beverages and snacks in bulk
- Rather than serving food with disposable objects, use washable utensils, plates, and glasses
- Buy locally and research sustainable food choices
Decorate with energy-efficient and durable items
- Purchase an artificial tree you can use for the coming years
- Use other types of decorations instead of trees
- Purchase a smaller tree and have less to recycle
- Consider not using lights for decorations
- Decorate with light-emitting diodes (LED) that are energy efficient
- Choose with durable ornaments, like metal, cloth, or wood when decorating
- Find out where you can buy trees that are grown in ways that keep the forests safe and healthy by contacting your state cooperative extension services
When you give gifts, wrap presents, and shop use fewer resources
- Buy from local craft shows and shops
- Search for second-hand and antiques stores for unique gifts
- Create art from used items, bake, knit, or sew your own gifts
- Shop online
- Take your own bags when going on shopping trips
- Be creative in your gift wrapping
- Reusable tins
- Garden and home items or usable baking pans
- Sheet music, old maps, or advertisements
- Fabric, handkerchiefs, or scarves
You can simplify your life, save money, and conserve energy by using some of these suggestions. Be creative and enjoy what you can offer this holiday season. Above all, get the most out of this time of year by enjoying moments with your family and friends. Experience the joys of the season.
Enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” button above.
Be sure to follow George Zapo on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn.