As we roll into the New Year, why not resolve a balanced Chi? The Time Meridian Massage consists of light touch energy strokes of each meridian line though a 24 hour cycle of meridians. It is a self massage technique that almost anyone can administer.
Time is an important element of eastern medicine, balancing to the moment. Acupuncture points run along meridian lines or vessels. Energy flows through meridians known as Chi. Meridians were mapped out over 5000 years ago by the Chinese and theorized as how we communicate within. Each meridian other than the Central and Governing meridians corresponds with a 2 hour frame of day.
Tips to remember for a successful Time Meridian Massage:
1. Always start and end by tracing the Central and Governing lines.
2. If the meridian line runs down the arm, they must be traced one at a time since you trace meridians with the hand.
3. All other meridians are traced simultaneously with both hands.
4 After tracing the Central and Governing lines, start at the meridian corresponding with the current time of day.
5. Trace the entire 24 hours of meridians ending with tracing the Central and Governing lines again to close the massage.
6. Don’t worry about being exact along the lines. It‘s more about your intentions and the flow of the massage. As you continue the process daily, you will trace the lines more accurately.
Start point to end point, and time frame for each meridian:
- Central – both hands from the pubic bone to below the lower lip (No time frame assigned)
- Governing – both hands from tailbone up to back, over the head to the upper lip (No time frame assigned)
- Stomach – both hands under the eye to the jaw up around the eyes across chest down the body to the index toe (7 am to 9 am)
- Spleen – both hands from the big toe up the inside leg out to and down to the arm pit (9 am to 11am)
- Heart – one hand at a time from the arm pit to the pinky (11 am to 1 pm)
- Small Intestine – one hand at a time from the pinky up the back of the arm to the earlobe (1 pm to 3 pm)
- Bladder – both hands from the inner eyebrow over the head down to the base of the spine back up to the neck then back down the back of the body to the pinky toe (3 pm to 5 pm)
- Kidney – both hands from the ball of the feet up the inside of the feet to the inside of the collarbone (5 pm to 7 pm)
- Circulation Sex – one hand at a time from the nipple to the middle finger (7 pm to 9 pm)
- Triple Warmer – one hand at a time from the ring finger up the back of the arm around the ear to to the eyebrow (9 pm to 11 pm)
- Gall Bladder – both hands from the outer eye to the base of the ear up around to the back of the ear back up to the temple down the back of the body to the ring toe (11 pm to 1 am)
- Liver – Both hands from the big toe up the inside of the leg to the lower chest (1 am to 3 am)
- Lung – one hand at a time from chest to the thumb (3 am to 5 am)
- Large Intestine – one hand at a time from the index finger to the nostril (5 am to 7 am)
Try to complete the Time Meridian Massage between 7 am to 9 am each day for consistency. But you can complete it at any time of day by starting with the Central and Governing line then completing the circle at the appropriate meridian corresponding to that time of day. For example, at 1:15 pm you would begin at Small Intestine.
Attached is a video that maps each meridian closing with a demonstration of the Time Meridian Massage. More detailed information on meridians, maps of meridians, and the Time Meridian Massage can found in Arlene Green’s ‘The Top Ten Pain Releasers’ available on line at the U. S. Kinesiology Training Institute.
Norfolk Acupuncture and Therapeutic Massage now offers ‘The Wellness Workout’ which includes the Time Meridian Massage, a basic assessment, a kinetic hydration test, upper body posture exercises, an assisted stretching session, a gait reset, and instructional training of the ‘Posture Podz Dumbell Workout’. Also included is a FREE pair of Posture Podz (a $35 value) to workout with at home and/or take to the gym. The cost of the 1 hour Session is $80.
Whether you are a world traveler or seeking balance from the daily grind, the Time Meridian Massage is an efficient way to balance your Chi.