Company Product Description ~ This electronic multi-function musical table features:
– Electronic piano with flashing lights plays music notes and pre-recorded melodies, four instrument sounds and a rhythm control function. The electronic piano can be fastened to baby’s crib with the supplied straps
– Activity Center with backyard animal sounds and fun sound effects
– Turned over, the tabletop becomes a base on which to build constructions with the included blocks.
– Reversible table with activities that help your baby learn through play
– Electronic side with a keyboard and ‘Bugs & Bees’ activities to help babies develop multiple skills
– Construction side with building base and 10 building blocks
– Includes activities involving music, thinking, coordination, visual, and audio skills
– Requires: 4 x AA batteries (not included)
Manufacturer: Chicco USA
Best for Ages: 12M+
Item# – 00067259200070
Purchase this product locally at: Target
Purchase this product online at: ChiccoUSA
“Toy of the Year” – American Baby Magazine
“Toy Wishes” – A Guide to Toys for Children with Special Needs
“Seal of Approval” – National Parenting Center
“Amazing Toy Awards” – BabyZone.com
– Develops dexterity through manual activities
– Activities involving music, thinking, coordination, visual, and audio skills
– Entertains with lights and sounds
Multi-functional has always been a great buzzword when it comes to practically anything, and educational toys are no exception. And while there are a few concerns with Chicco’s recent “Music ‘N Play Table”, its multi-functional amenities supersede all slights. The main tipping point for the table, if you’ll pardon the pun, seems to be the child’s reliance on its sturdiness.
Children at some point will undoubtedly want to use the table as a means to go from a sitting to a standing position, and with that, will likely encounter an unsuccessful result. And although the table should receive a fair amount of slack as it carries the label of an educational tool and not of a physical aid, in its current state it also has to receive a fair amount of supervision. Not that a child of the box’s appropriate age shouldn’t receive frequent supervision, but the table carries with it an extension of that banner with a more literal “hands on” demand.
The only other issue the table seems to have lays with the number of building blocks included. The table is geared towards toddlers, granted, but short of building a small tower there really aren’t many options when encouraged to flip its ingenious lid and create. This could easily enough be addressed with an extension package of blocks, but Chicco has yet to make such a set available. Leaving your child to stack, smash, repeat.
The positive aspects of the table though really shine, with a wide variety of fun and engaging activities, inviting sounds and a targeting of educational development. The colors are vibrant and the table’s entirety speaks of innovative design with an eye for whimsy. From fine motor skills and color identification to problem solving and auditory stimulation, no milestone is left unturned, affording what is sure to be hours and hours of quality fun for you and your toddler.
So although this table seems more suited for those standing, or on their tushie your toddler might be landing, the Chicco “Music ‘N Play Table” is nevertheless an engaging, entertaining and educational instrument with play taking center stage.