The 2012 holiday season of giving is here, so it’s time to find the perfect gift for that hard-working and extremely busy mom on your shopping list. Because today’s modern mom is the ultimate multi-tasker, a gift that helps her maintain her hectic schedule or makes the most of her down time is always a sure fire hit. Here are ten great gifts for busy moms for Christmas 2012.
- The ultimate for busy moms: iPad Mini: Apple released its highly anticipated iPad Mini on Nov. 2, but supplies remain tight for Christmas 2012. If you can afford one and happen to find one in stores or online, be sure to snap one up for mom. Although it’s definitely smaller and more compact than the original iPad and iPad 2, the iPad Mini is every inch an iPad. At just 7.9 inches, it’s perfectly sized to slip into mom’s purse, yet delivers an experience every bit as big as a regular iPad. Colors are vivid and the text is sharp, plus the Mini is fast and fluid. With FaceTime, an iSight camera, a 10-hour battery life and thousands of amazing apps, the iPad Mini is the perfect gift for busy moms on the go. It’s available in white or black and priced at $329 for 16 GB, $429 for 32 GB, and $529 for 64 GB. To order online, go to Apple.com.
- The perfect gift for moms who love to read: New Kindle Fire HD. Busy moms spend much of their time waiting. They wait in carpool lines, at the doctor’s office, in school registration lines, etc. So, why should you buy a busy mom an eBook reader? Convenience. Instead of going to a bookstore, mom can purchase and download an eBook anytime, from any location with a Wi-Fi connection. Plus, eBook readers are ultra lightweight and compact and can store books, magazines and more, all in one small device that can be taken anywhere. The most popular eBook reader for 2012 is the newest Kindle Fire HD with an 8.9” screen. It starts at $299 on Amazon and includes special offers and free super saver shipping. The Kindle Fire 8.9” HD unit features 1920×1200 high def display with anti-glare technology, exclusive Dolby audio and dual speakers, a high performance 1.5 GH dual-core processor, and dual-band, dual antenna Wi-Fi for 40% faster downloads and streaming. With more than 22 million books, movies, TV shows, magazines, audio books and popular apps available for Kindle Fire HD, there’s literally something for every discerning and busy mom on your list. In Atlanta, savvy dads can buy the new Kindle Fire at Best Buy, Staples, Frye’s and Walmart.
- For moms on the move: Striiv Smart Pedometer Plus Motivation System. For moms who like to walk for fitness, the new Smart Pedometer from Striiv is the perfect partner to motivate her to reach and exceed new goals. The pocket-sized device doesn’t just track mom’s steps, it lets her compete with friends, hit personalized goals, do walkathons and play games powered by walking. It also has a built-in radio that enables mom to compete with people around her to earn Striiv points. The really cool thing is that Striiv will donate to charities on mom’s behalf as she reaches new goals. It includes a color touchscreen that gives instant feedback, customized challenges, and a tracker to count steps, stairs, calories and minutes of activity. It’s the perfect gift for busy moms on the move and is available on Amazon for $99.95-$199.95.
- The perfect gift for women who travel: Portable Jewelry Case. Keli’s Kreations, a company founded by an Atlanta mom, carries a complete line of travel-wise accessories that are perfect for moms who travel for work or pleasure. All portable jewelry cases feature soft, removable suede pads with snaps that protect her jewelry and keep it tangle-free. They come in sassy and sensational styles and can be tucked inside a briefcase or carry-on bag. Selections include the hard-sided Diva Deluxe, the soft-sided Diva Lite and the smaller Diva Petite, plus bridal and eco-friendly collections. Prices range from $27-$43. To order this perfect gift for mom, visit the shop now web page.
- For moms who love wine: Rabbit Electric Wine Opener. When the kids are in bed and the busy day is over, many moms like to chill out with a nice glass of wine. An electric wine bottle opener takes away the frustration of dealing with stubborn corks. That means mom will spend more time sipping and less time uncorking. The new electric wine opener from Rabbit is sleek, compact and makes opening wine as easy as placing the opener over a bottle and pressing a button. It has an illuminated LCD screen that shows the number of corkscrew pulls left in the charger. The spiral is recessed so the corkscrew locks on the bottle and pulls the cork straight out. AC charger is included. $49.99 at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
- For moms who love to take pictures: World’s Smallest HD Camera. Busy moms love to capture life’s best moments on film. If she’s tired of watching mediocre-quality home movies on her HDTV, then it’s time to upgrade mom to a high def camera. Sharper Image sells the world’s smallest HD camera/camcorder and it’s a piece of technical miniaturization. It’s so small that it can fit on mom’s keychain and is always ready to capture life’s milestones like first days of school or little league games. It has a TF memory card slot with 32GB support (4GB TF card included with SD card converter) and a built-in lithium ion battery that recharges with a USB cable. A full charge delivers about 4.5 hours of use or 120 hours of standby readiness. If the World’s Smallest HD Camera runs out of power while mom is recording, the camera will stop and save the file before automatically powering off. The best news is that the world’s smallest HD camera is priced at just $199 with free shipping (enter the code “SHIP99” when ordering). To buy the world’s smallest HD camera for mom this Christmas, go to the Sharper Image website.
- To soothe mom: Tea Time Gift Basket. Hot tea has magical soothing powers, just what busy moms need after a hectic day. Amazon’s tea-themed gift basket is overflowing with five types of premium teas and a tasty selection of treats including shortbread, cookies and more. Tea flavors include Tea Forte Ginger Tea, Teatulia White Tea, Teatulia Green Tea, Teatulia Black Tea and Peppermint Chamomile Jazz Tea. Includes ceramic teapot and cups. $49.95. To order, go to Amazon.com.
- To relax busy moms: Bath Gift Basket. Sure, there are plenty of bath gift baskets on the market, but why not make your own and customize it especially for your busy mom? Buy several paperback books from her favorite author, scented candles, and an assortment of bath salts, bubble bath, scented soaps and lotions. Throw in a classical or soft jazz CD and load it all in an inexpensive basket that you can purchase at a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. For an added touch, make a “Do Not Disturb” sign that your busy mom can hand on the bathroom door for at least an hour of pure relaxation. If you want to take it a step farther, Amazon sells a wonderful bamboo bath caddy that features a foldaway book spot, plus beverage and soap holders. Unlike other bath caddies, this one won’t split or mold. Go to Amazon to purchase one for that busy mom on your list. $44.99.
- To pamper busy moms: Spa Gift Certificates. Busy moms are constantly on the move, shuttling kids from one appointment or practice to yet another. When she does get a slice of private time, help mom make the most of it by treating her to a little pampering. Does mom have a favorite nail salon? Give her a gift certificate for a mani/pedi. Does she love massages? Splurge on a free massage or a half-day at a local spa, like Massage Envy or Spa Sydell in Atlanta. For the ultimate in relaxation, treat your busy mom to an overnight package at a local resort. Chateau Elan in Braselton is just a short drive from Atlanta and offers overnight “Escape” packages, complete with breakfast, dinner and a massage or facial. Mom can take along a buddy and come home renewed and re-energized. For more information, visit the Chateau Elan website.
- The gift that keeps on giving: Gift of the Month Clubs. There are tons of “Gift of the Month” clubs available for the gift that keeps on giving all year long. You can choose from traditional Gift of the Month clubs, like fruits, flowers or chocolates; or more unique ones, like coffee, dessert, cupcakes, movie, pizza, teddy bear, ice cream or wine gift of the month clubs. Many offer a variety of options, including 1, 3, 6 or 12-month choices. Match your gift of the month to mom’s likes and interests for the perfect gift that doesn’t end after Christmas. Go to Amazingclubs.com for a huge selection of gift-of-the-month ideas.
Do you want to stay in-the-know? Then sign up to get my articles personally delivered to your in-box. Just click on subscribe, and you’ll stay up-to-the-minute with the latest happenings in and around Atlanta.