The end 2012 is here and it’s time for movie critics like me to reveal their top ten best and worst movie lists. However, given the large number of 3D movies that are released these days, I started to list a ten best and worst 3D movies for the last couple of years. So without further ado, here are the top ten WORST 3D movies of 2012. One interesting note about this year’s list, 7 of the 10 movies on it are sequels. Here’s hoping 2013 produces more original material.
10. “Wrath of the Titans” – In 2010 “Clash of the Titans” was the #1 worst 3D movie of the year so to come in at #10 in 2012 is a vast improvement. Maybe if they make a third one the franchise can find themselves on the best list.
9. “Brave” – This is the most surprising movie on this list. We are so used to getting gold from Pixar/Disney; however, they have never really embraced the 3D technology and the plot line that combined “Freaky Friday” and “Brother Bear” did not help matters.
8. “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island” – While the 3D and visual effects were fine in this sequel to the remake of “Journey to the Center of the Earth” the story was un-engaging and difficult to sit through.
7. “Ice Age: Continental Drift” – The fourth entry in the family film franchise continues to be a delight for children, but a burden on parents. The opening cartoon starring Maggie Simpson was the only highlight on this movie.
6. “Resident Evil: Retribution” – The last Resident Evil movie, “Afterlife” was the #5 best 3D movie of 2010. What an unfortunate reversal for the most successful video game to movie franchise out there. The ending to this movie indicated that one more movie is on the horizon. Hopefully that entry can find its way back to the Best list.
5. “Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance” – Ghost Rider was my favorite comic book growing up and I liked the first movie very much. On this outing the 3D conversion (it was shot in 2D) was unimpressive and the plot was even less so.
4. “Silent Hill: Revelation 3D” – Was there really a high demand for a sequel based on the popular video games series? After this movie there should be none for any more.
3. “Spiders 3D” – At a film festival screening it was rumored that the movie’s stars, Patrick Muldoon and Christa Campbell would do a Q&A after the movie. They were nowhere to be seen when the lights came up and after seeing this movie it’s easy to understand why.
2. “John Carter” – Disney’s $200 million bomb.
1. “Piranha 3DD” – “Piranha 3D” was the #3 best 3D movie of 2010. This follow up was directed by a talentless director who thought if he showed enough naked boobs that it would hide the fact that he created the worst 3D movie of 2012. He was wrong. The movie was not fun at all like the last one. The only part that provided any amusement was during the end credit sequence starring David Hasselhoff.
Be sure to check back tomorrow to find out what 3D movies made this year’s best or you can always click HERE to subscribe to this column.