Sometimes the best part of a movie was the trailers that preceded it. A movie trailer is supposed to get an audience excited or at least interested to see an upcoming movie. If a trailer is good enough it can get people talking about that movie, creating some good early buzz. There were a number of good movie trailers that came out in 2012 and here are the ten best for this calendar year of 2012.
10. “Anchorman 2” – This was just a teaser trailer that featured Ron Burgundy (Will Farrell) with the rest of his channel 4 news team promoting the new movie. It contained no footage of the sequel, but was still pretty funny.
9. “Gangster Squad” – The first trailer to this crime drama was pulled from theaters and online after the Colorado movie theater shooting. There is a scene in the trailer where a bunch of men are standing behind a movie theater screen shooting into the crowd. It’s very understandable why this trailer was abolished, but it was still a real good trailer and got you excited to see the movie.
8 “Star Trek Into Darkness” – This movie comes out this May, yet there have already been THREE different sneak previews for it that all came out this month. What’s great is that ALL the trailers look good.
7. “The Dark Knight Rises “(Official trailer #3) – Warner Brothers put out four different trailers for the epic conclusion of Christopher Nolan’s Batman Trilogy. Trailer #3 slowly builds and builds until finally all hell breaks loose.
6. “Warm Bodies” – This movie looks to do a new take on the current zombie phenomenon that is currently going on. It is told from one zombie’s point of view and what happens when he meets a girl who gets his heart beating again. It’s rated PG-13, but looks to be a lot of fun.
5. “World War Z” – Fans of the book began to wonder if a movie of it would ever get made and if it did, what form the movie would take. There have been fast moving zombies before, but ones where they pile on each other to get over a tall wall in a matter of seconds? That we haven’t seen yet. With the star power of Brad Pitt, this looks to be a huge summer movie.
4 “Ted” (red band) – The trailer to this comedy starts so innocently. We are introduced to John (Mark Wahlberg) and Lori (Mila Kunis) as they first meet and fall in love, there’s just one little thing… the sound of thunder strikes and that’s when a live teddy bear runs into the room and it only gets funnier from there.
3. “Man of Steel” – Another rebooted superhero movie? Well, yes, but with director Zach Snider and producer Christopher Nolan behind it you can understand why audiences are looking forward to seeing this movie and the trailer looks darker than any previous Superman movie we have seen before.
2. “Wreck-It Ralph” (teaser trailer) – What helped make this such a great trailer was not only the intriguing premise of an 8-bit video game villain who wants to change his life, but also the songs that were used in the trailer. First there was the Talking Heads’ “Once in a Lifetime” that kept using the “same as it ever was” lyric over and over again to emphasize the boring routine Ralph’s life had become and then Flo Rida’s “Good Feeling” when Ralph abandons his game to try to become a hero.
1. “Iron Man 3” – How do you possibly follow up the enormity of “Marvel’s The Avengers”? That questioned was answered after the first trailer to “Iron Man 3” came out. Never before did Tony Stark/Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.) look to be in such peril. First his old suits of armor are blown up, and then someone is shooting missiles at his beach house when he is still in it and then we see him dragging his iron man suit through a cold winter’s night. It looks like the summer movie season is going to start off strong with the third entry in this movie franchise.
There you have it. The best movie trailers of 2012. Remember if you want to get the latest trailers of 2013 sent to you simply subscribed to this column. Happy New Year!