3D movies are more than just trending; they are way of life at the cinema now. There are so many 3D movies a year that it is difficult for even the largest multiplex to house them all. Regardless, given the sheer number of 3D movies that come out every year, they deserve their own top ten lists. Yesterday the top ten WORST 3D movies of 2012 was revealed (click HERE to read them). Today, happily, here are the top ten BEST 3D movies of 2012. One note, movies re-released in 3D (“Titanic”, “Star Wars Episode 1”, Disney movies) were disqualified from this year’s list. Only new movies could make the cut.
10. “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” – The movie itself was an unexpected disappointment, but the 48 frame 3D effects were flawless so it just manages to get in the top 10 best instead of worse. Perhaps the second entry in this trilogy will do better.
9. “Bait 3D” – Last year “Shark Night 3D” wound up on the worst 3D movie list. “Bait 3D” is from Australia and proves you can still make an entertaining shark movie (I’m still waiting for a “Meg” movie to come out based on the bestselling novel by Steve Alten).
8. “The Lorax” – This animated tale based on the Dr. Seuss book came out in the first quarter of 2012, but was one of the better family films to come out this year.
7. “Rise of the Guardians” – This was the last animated family film to come out in 2012. DreamWorks always produces excellent 3D effect movies and this movie was no exception.
6. “Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away 3D” – While “Titanic” did not qualify to make this list, James Cameron managed to find his way on anyway (he was a producer on this movie). You may have never got to experience Cirque du Soleil in person, but after seeing this movie you may not have to because the 3D effects are so stunning it was like being right there.
5. “The Pirates! Band of Misfits” – Claymation may never be as popular as the many computer animated movies that come out every year, but this fun tale from director Peter Lord had audiences laughing and kept in awe from its 3D effects and art.
4. “Life of Pi” – 3D movies and Oscar winning director Ang Lee has been a marriage waiting to happen. Now it finally has and it did not disappoint.
3. “Marvel’s The Avengers” – Usually a movie shot in 2D and converted into 3D does not make this list, but the 3D conversion done on “Marvel’s The Avengers” was quite impressive. Even more impressive was the movie itself which went on to become the highest grossing of 2012 and every single cent was well earned.
2. “Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted” – The first two entries in this film franchise were not impressive at all, but the kids seemed to like them. This third entry was a movie EVERYONE could have a good time at. It was funny, had a great story and the 3D effects were fantastic.
1. “Prometheus” – Sometimes the bar is set so high for an anticipated movie that it can only disappoint you in the end. Then there are filmmakers like Ridley Scott who can jump over that bar and never look down. “Prometheus”, which was often billed as a prequel to the original “Alien” (Which Scott also directed), was engaging, terrifying and filled with rich three-dimensional characters. Ridley Scott used the 3D technology as a tool to help bring the audience into his newest tale and it paid off to be the best 3D movie of 2012.