Video games underwent a series of convulsive changes as the industry was caught between an aging series of gaming platforms, escalating production costs, and a shifting demographic. Video games were blamed for society’s ills at the same time they won awards and were featured in museums.
- Video game sales down, hobby games up: The 5th Edition announcement was well-timed as video game sales slumped and traditional game sales surged.
- Online gaming outperforms online dating: Despite the conflict between the genders, it wasn’t all bad – online gaming proved to be a better matchmaker than online dating sites.
- MMORPGs give up on pay-to-play: More and more MMORPGs follow RetroMUD’s lead and go free to play because the old revenue model is no longer sustainable.
- Video games and porn accused of causing men to “flame out”: Philip G. Zimbardo and Nikita Duncan believe that the two vices causes young men to flame out academically, wipe out socially with girls, and fail sexually with women.
- City of Heroes dies: Paragon Studios, the developer behind the first superhero massively MMORPG City of Heroes, announced that it will be closing the game by November 30, 2012.
- Democratic candidate attacked for being a gamer…: Democratic Senate candidate Colleen Lachowicz’s propensity for playing World of Warcraft is attacked by Republicans.
- Only to win in a landslide thanks to the media coverage: Lachowicz beat Republican incumbent Thomas H. Martin Jr. by 913 in the race for Senate District 25.
- Spike Video Game Awards Recognize RPGs: Immersive games were front-and-center in the Spike 2012 Video Game Awards. Games that were dominating their field continued with more installments in their franchise, ranging from Mass Effect to Borderlands.
- The Museum of Modern Art adds video games: MOMA acquires a selection of 14 video games, the seedbed for an initial wish list of about 40 to be acquired in the near future, as well as for a new category of artworks in MOMA’s collection. This initial group, which debut in the Museum’s Philip Johnson Galleries in March 2013, features several immersive-style games that demonstrate video game development is embracing the elements of tabletop role-playing.
- The NRA blames video games for Newton, CT shooting: The NRA follows the Fox News narrative that video games are responsible for the tragedy.
Want more? Subscribe to this column; follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and the web; buy my books: The Evolution of Fantasy Role-Playing Games, The Well of Stars, and Awfully Familiar. Become an Examiner and get paid to write today!