A true labor of love, The Nurses’ Float was inspired by 2013 Tournament of Roses President Sally M. Bixby, the first registered nurse and second woman to assume the reins of the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association. On Wednesday, the sponsoring organization, Bare Root, Inc. announced the 10 riders who were chosen as representatives of the best of nursing.
Two of the riders are nursing students from Pasadena City College, chosen as exceptional students who represent the future of nursing. The riders represent the diversity of registered nurses, both in backgrounds and disciplines. They are
- Suko Davies, RN, representing Huntington Hospital, Pasadena, Calif., Emergency Department
- Cherie Fox, RN BSN CCRN-CSC, representing St. Joseph Health, Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo, Calif., Cardiac Intensive Care Unit
- Deborah Keasler, RN, BS, MS, representing Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center, Pomona, Calif., Director of Cardiac Services
- Sister Terrence Landini, LCM, representing Providence Little Company of Mary Medical Center, Torrance, Calif., retired nurse leader
- Maureen Latham, RN, representing Sharp HealthCare, Sharp Mary Birch Hospital For Women & Newborns, San Diego, Calif.
- Bob Patterson, RN, MSN, The American Assembly for Men in Nursing
- Priscilla “Patti” Taylor, MN, CNS, FNP, Clinical Nurse Specialist for the Liver Transplant Unit, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles representing Nurse.com
- Cathy Rodgers Ward, RN, DNSc, NEA-BC, Director of Nursing, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, representing Nurse.com
- Ariel Eby, SN, Pasadena City College
- Nicole Brown, SN, Pasadena City College
“Our riders were selected because they are all highly respected individuals within their respective institutions and epitomize excellence for the profession,” Monica Weisbrich, RN, president of Bare Root, Inc. stated. “They provide an opportunity to recognize the immense contributions that all nurses make regardless of where they provide patient care.”
The story of the float, “A Healing Place,” was chronicled in this column. Readers can see how the float came together from the beginning fundraisers to the final brushstroke to prepare the creation for flowering. “Nurses create ‘a healing place’ with their presence, anywhere and under any circumstance,” said Weisbrich. The float is designed and built by Phoenix Decorating Company.
The Nurses’ Float depicts a healing glen for animals of the forest, dotted with glowing lanterns that are replicas of the lamp carried by Florence Nightingale. It was built entirely with funds raised by Bare Root, founded by five nurses in 2007 to honor nurses worldwide and show their pride in Bixby. Bare Root has raised more than $400,000, with 100 percent going cost of the float. Continued fundraising will establish a fund for nursing scholarships.
The theme of the 124th Rose Parade and 99th Rose Bowl Game is “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!” The Tournament of Roses is a celebration that lasts several weeks in the fall and winter, with the high points being the Rose Parade presented by Honda and the Rose Bowl Game presented by VIZIO on Tuesday, Jan. 1, 2013. Keep following your Tournament of Roses Examiner for the latest news and for upcoming announcements.
Like this story?
Like All Things Rose Parade on Facebook or subscribe to Tournament of Roses Examiner by clicking the “Subscribe” link. Read more articles about the Pasadena area at Altadena Headlines Examiner and San Gabriel Foothills Examiner. If you have a question or would like a reply to your comment, please email me at email@example.com