The Call of Duty series is… popular to say the least. With popularity comes an incredibly large fan base that includes users of all ages and facets of life. With this user base comes all types of opinions. Some formulated by angry 11 year olds unsure of how to handle their first wet dream. Some by drooling 16 year olds who are too high for their own good, and some, as I’m sure is David Vonderhaars favorite, is the ever present entitled Youtube “star” hell bent on teaching players the art of being a douche bag player.
Regardless, all these people are entitled to their own opinions, questions and thoughts about the game. Although Black Ops 2 has only been out for a couple of weeks now, it sure as hell has not stopped people from voicing them. In terms of the game, it has received incredible support for its new “Pick 10” system and direction the series has head. However, much like issues I have had from my first look (check it out here), many of the complaints have been focused around connection issues, match making and map design.
Although David Vonderhaar, Treyarch, or Activision have yet to come out with any official answers to some of the games larger complaints (there was a small patched released last week), Vahn has been on twitter answering some questions. Unfortunately, these questions usually go unheard by the masses due to them being direct response to the person asking the question. Below I have took some of the more relevant answers Mr. Vondehaar has given regarding issues the fans are experiencing and placed them here. Hopefully some of these answers will shed some light on the unanswered questions people have.
Vonderhaar on match making search preferences:
David Vonderhaar: I apologize in advance for blowing up your timeline. You can change your Matchmaking search preferences when selecting a Playlist to join with the X/Square/Keyboard shortcut. This places an upper limit on the ping/latency of the lobby/game you will join. Read the descriptions carefully. You may end up waiting a long time and possibly never finding a lobby. It’s the Internet. Things change fast. Hosts can migrate, an upstream ISP drops a routing table. Whatever. But, I assure you, at the time of the search, it’s putting you in the best lobby it can from the available search results. No matter what you forum post you read or what YT video you watched, connection is king at all times above all other criteria.
We continue to evaluate improvements to matchmaking. Anything in the game that generates more traffic than it should, will get beat down.Enjoy your Sunday evening. Online shortly so you can stomp my guts out and feel better. Trying to complete my Kill Confirmed Challenge set.
Vonderhaar’s reaction to the complaints about skill based matchmaking:
- David Vonderhaar: “Pubstomping is dead. You can’t force anyone to rage quit. I never win 3 games in a row.” http://t.co/vqK7wT5j (note the sarcasm in this tweet)
- David Vonderhaar: Pubstomping. Undefeated. Being carried, but let’s not talk about that. http://t.co/t5mZVSBP (note the sarcasm, again)
In regards to Zombie leader board stats being reset:
- Q: @ItzSkeith isn’t it possible to pull our stats from combat record and throw us back on? It’s not like we have done anything wrong
- A: Vonderhaar – I simply don’t know the answer to your question as to the long-term impact. It’s being worked on as we type.
Complaints about lack of enemy footsteps and sounds:
- Q: @Atrophius – Not having any audio cues to warn you that someone is *sprinting* at you from behind is really frustrating
- A: Vonderhaar – This one is controversial with the team, but still being discussed.
On class coping issue:
- Q: Trallacalalalaa – Why can’t we copy a class from spots 1-5 to spots 6-10 in CaC?
- A: – Vonderhaar – Known issue (I’m assuming this means Treyarch is working on it)
On map rotation
- Q: Dxu_lazy – is the map hijacked set to appear frequently? Keep getting it a lot, Like I mean a lot. Almost all the time.
- A: – Vonderhaar – No. No map, or gamemode, in any playlist is weighted at this time.
Movement of the B flag on Drone in Domination:
- Q: @TheOneSoulGamer – Any thoughts about my previous tweets about moving B flag on Drone to the warehouse?
- A: Vonderhaar – I don’t have any thoughts on that specifically. I am aware that some people believe we make our B Dom flags “too hard.” They are worth a lot of score and having them be a focal point is the generally good for the game mode.
- Q: @TheOneSoulGamer – Agreed I like how the B dom flag is difficult to cap, but its just drone is slow pace gameplay wise slower than most maps
- A: Vonderhaar – … if we don’t put it in the center. An old habit, for sure, that will be hard to break.
- Q: @TheOneSoulGamer – So is there any chances to get B Dom moved into lower factory or is it too dramatic of a change?
- A: Vonderhaar – I doubt it can happen, Just being straight. I need to talk to engineering to see what they think before I could answer.
On round changes and time limits in Domination:
- Q: _Raage – The 5 minute halves, thought obviously more competitive, don’t really fit in a public match setting where the stakes are low. As a competitive player, I understand why the break exists, but I feel like it would be better to keep the natural flow when playing Domination in public matchs. THeres nothing worse than being on a nice streak and getting it cut off by round ending, then dying right off the bat capping B from the next side.
- A: Vonderhaar – The end justifies the means. Flipping mid-round eliminates “bad side” situation and is better for the game. I have thought about removing the time limit, or making it longer, to allow for comebacks from a larger margin of being down.
On Capture the Flag being slow paced.
- Q: OpTicScumpii – CTF in this game is horrendous
- A: – Vonderhaar – We went to a lot of trouble to set up the CTF OT with double OT and to just go with “it sucks” is not helpful. I’m always ok if you don’t like something. So help me. I may no agree. Use your powers for good
- Q: OpTicScumpii – I apologize for being so vague with my opinion, but CTF just plays really slow.
- A: – Vonderhaar – Your opinion was “Sux.” That’s not an opinion. An opinion is that it plays too slow. And being helpful is explaining why.
- Q: OpTicScumpii – I have no idea, Might be the spawns and it might be ust hoe pwople play it. I just don’t like the way it plays right now. Could also be our fault for choosing the wrong maps, and not giving the others a try.
- A: – Vonderhaar – So use your powers for good. Or I am going to kick your ass. Ok? Good. All done now. I’ll be waiting for your full report.
- Q: OpTic_NaDeSHoT – Spawn timer could make a big difference. Right now, it feels very campy and inconsistent. Flag pulls are rare.
- A: – Vonderhaar – Is it the re-spawn timer? I played CTF last night with Dexterity, Lightweight and marathon o Drone… and it was super fast.
On theater mode issues.
- Q: OpTicMiDNiTe -The section “book marked films” in my theater is always empty. I’ve never seen anything I’ve bookmarked in there. I do sometimes see the games I bookmarked with stars on them in my “recent games”
- A: – Vonderhaar – I am not seeing what you are seeing. Can you screen grab where you expect a Bookmark Film to show up, but its not? It puts stars on films in Recent Ganes list for easy reference.
- Q: OpTicMiDNiTe – This section… has always been empty
- A: – Vonderhaar – Sorry. But I am not following you. Too few characters. When you say “Book Marked Films” I am not sure what you mean. Just played. Just bookmarked. And just looked that. It’s showing up. Not saying it doesn’t happen, Can’t repro it.
- Q: OpTicMiDNiTe – Hmm. I’ll give it another shot. I’ve tried over 10 times since I’ve been playing MP and it never shows up. Bookmark next 3 games you play. Compare Recent Games with stars to that list. Screenshot please.
- Q: OpTicMiDNiTe – Yes, I hear many people having issues with theater mode besides book marking, was just curious :)
- A: – Vonderhaar – We also know that games are getting truncated in the Theater. This one is way more involved and way more important.
These are just a small fraction of the questions answered. If you guys want to send me more, please feel free to do so, I would love to add to this list in the future.
So was this useful? How is everyones experience with “Black Ops 2” so far? Let me know by subscribing to me here and following me on twitter @NicholasGigante.