When One Direction performs at the group’s first Madison Square Garden concert in New York City on December 3, 2012, three of the five members of One Direction will have girlfriends there as their dates to party with before and after the show:
- Taylor Swift, 22, who has rekindled her romance with One Direction’s Harry Styles, 18. The couple had a fling in the spring of 2012 and then started dating again in November 2012.
- Perrie Edwards, 19, who has been dating One Direction’s Zayn Malik, 19, since April 2012. Edwards is a member of the girl group Little Mix, the winner of “The X Factor” U.K. in 2011.
- Eleanor Calder, 20, who has been dating One Direction’s Louis Tomlinson, 20, since late 2011. Calder is a student at the University of Manchester.
One Direction’s Niall Horan, 19, has invited his close friend Amy Green, a 20-year-old drama student, to the concert. She is said to have a “friends with benefits” relationship with Horan. However, they do not describe each other as “boyfriend and girlfriend.”
One Direction’s Liam Payne, 19, is unattached after his September 2012 split from 24-year-old dancer Danielle Peazer, whom he dated for two years. “X Factor” U.K. 2006 winner Leona Lewis, 27, did an interview with The Sun to confirm rumors that she has been dating Payne since his relationship with Peazer ended, but less than a week after the interview was published, Payne denied on Twitter that he and Lewis are dating. Peazer is in New York City to visit Payne (at his invitation), which has sparked rumors that they might get back together. Peazer and Calder are still good friends with each other, so they have been hanging out while Peazer is in New York City.
Several of One Direction’s family members and close friends from the United Kingdom and Ireland will also be at the concert and at the private after-party. It will be the largest gathering of One Direction’s family and friends since the Season 7 finale of “The X Factor” U.K. in 2010, when One Direction came in third place.
The Daily Mirror started a rumor that Swift will be joining One Direction on stage at Madison Square Garden. However, several sources have told me that this is a false rumor, for several reasons:
- The Madison Square Garden show is a big deal to One Direction. It’s their show, and no one is going to steal their thunder. Sources say that Swift also feels the same way: She does not want to take the spotlight off One Direction either by going on stage at this show.
- Even if One Direction was going to have Swift perform on stage with the group, she is a perfectionist and she wouldn’t have time to rehearse with One Direction. On December 2, 2012, she’s spending a good deal of time flying from Los Angeles to New York. The chances of Swift doing a solo performance at One Direction’s Madison Square Garden show, even if it’s just one song? Zero.
- Styles has refused to name anyone whom he’s been dating since he broke up with “The Xtra Factor” co-host Carolyn Flack, 33, in January 2012. He’s not going to make a big show of dating Swift by having her on stage with One Direction.
- Swift wants to enjoy a night off at this One Direction concert. And she doesn’t want to ruin her night by getting booed by a lot of jealous One Direction fans if she goes on stage at the show.
- Swift is going to perform at Madison Square Garden just four nights later at Z100’s Jingle Ball concert. One Direction will do a separate set at the same concert.
Styles and Swift have not publicly commented about the status of their relationship, but the Daily Mirror quotes Styles as saying about Swift: “Taylor honestly couldn’t be a sweeter person. She’s genuinely nice and extremely talented, and she deserves everything she has.”
As previously reported, Swift is expected to meet Styles’ parents for the first time when they are all New York.
One Direction’s Malik and Tomlinson have been very open with fans and the media about their romantic feelings for their girlfriends. Tomlinson and Malik have talked about their girlfriends in many interviews and on Twitter, and they say that they are faithful boyfriends.
December 4, 2012 update: Click here to details on One Direction’s Madison Square Garden concert and after-party.