Clearing and cleansing your Tarot Deck is as important as clearing and cleansing any other tool you may use in your life! If electric tools are allowed to remain dirty over multiple uses, chances are they will begin to fail and no longer work the right way; only by cleaning them can we get what we need from them. The same holds true for all other “tools” in our lives, including the Tarot.
TLC by clearing and cleansing your deck is very important for maintaing a healthy energy flow through your cards and in your readings. You want to be sure that yours or your clients vibrations can flow clearly through each card to ensure the best readings, answers, and results. After all, the cards cannot guide our lives if they are cloudy themselves!
For reasons why and how to know when to clear and cleanse your cards, please read Why you should clear and cleanse your Tarot Cards. When you’re all done cleaning and clearing, be sure to check out How to Keep Your Tarot Cards Clean!
Choose one or more of the following methods to Cleanse and Clear your Tarot Cards:
- Re-order & Remember: Re-order your cards. This gives them a nice, clean state to restart with, as well as separating them from their energy clusters, as you may have noticed many cards appearing with the same sets of cards in readings! Do this in for the Major Arcana, and then for each of the Minor Arcana suits! As you re-order them, look at each card and remember what it means to you, recall all of the symbols you know of and look for new ones; practice your speed and knowledge as you do this, it’s great exercise! This is also a great method to ensure that you haven’t lost or misplaced any of your cards since you got them or last re-ordered them!
- Meditate: Shuffle your cards and then hold them in your hands. Count down from 12 to 1, visualizing each number as you go. When you reach 1, count down once more from 13 to 1, this time not visualizing. In this meditative state, allow your senses and consciousness to travel from your mind, down to your arms, through your fingers, and into the cards. Look around for any signs of darkness, and get rid of that! Make the entire space white and clean. Do any kind of prayer, symbolism, etc. for truth, accuracy, and protection. Link yourself to the cards, know they are yours, and that you can do great things with them. When they feel cleansed and blessed with white light, travel back up to your mind, count up from 1 to 13 and then 1 to 12, and you’re done!
- Moon Bath: The moon is often linked to powers of intuition and divination. By placing them in moonlight, you are essentially recharging and reconnecting them to their original state and intention. On a full moon, place your cards outside or in a windowsill and allow them to soak up the moon’s psychic rays.
- Salt or Crystal Burial: Salt has been known as a all-purpose purifier of harmful and malicious energies, as well as a grounder for extraneous energies! Simply place your cards in a deep container and cover them with salt or Quartz crystals [you can do a mix of quartz and amethyst if you like]. If you want to keep your cards clean, feel free to put them in a ziplock bag before covering them in salt. Keep them buried for at least a few days, and dispose of the salt when you are done.
- Fresh Air: Just like all things, they can get stale and restless when kept inside all the time. By exposing them to natural elements, you are supplying them with the health they need to go on.
- Smudge Stick: During ritual, sage bundles are used to clear harmful energies from ritual tools; tarot cards fall under this category. Simply light your sage bundle, prop it burning side up [I often stand mine in sand] and run your deck through the clearing smoke. Some like to do the cards individually and reflect/remember each card as they go, like in “Re-order and Remember.”
- Elemental Clearing: Done in a ritualistic setting, expose the cards to all of the elements to re-introduce, refresh, and rebalance the natural state of the cards. Incense = air, Candle light = fire, Salt = Earth, Sprinkling of water = Water.
Feel free to mix any of these methods, as they can all work together, but do not feel that it is necessary to do so! I usually just re-order my cards and reflect on each meaning! Follow your intuition and your cards will turn out just fine!
Love the Tarot? Want to learn more tips and tricks to reading and caring? Subscribe or follow me on Twitter for free updates to articles by clicking the links below this article, under my photograph! Happy Cleansing!
Copyright 2012 Jennifer McDonald / All rights reserved.