WWF Survivor Series ‘94
November 23, 1994
San Antonio, Texas
The New Generation Era of the WWF in the mid ‘90s was not looked back as fondly remembered time in the company era. The company was not very profitable, was working on creating new main event level superstars, reeling from the McMahon steroid of trial of 1993 and was dealing with World Championship Wrestling firing back by signing Hulk Hogan to a massive contract.
For the 1994 Survivor Series the company went back to its Survivor Series roots with the original five-on-five elimination bouts but included the four-on-four tradition of over-the-top team names as well.
Therefore this show was all about ending major rivalries and kicking off new rivalries. This was the seminal farewell to 1994, and it was an introduction to 1995 and the zenith of the neon fueled, gimmick filled New Generation.
This show saw the end of the plodding Undertaker-Yokozuna rivalry, complete with callbacks to their WrestleCrap worthy 1994 Royal Rumble Casket match. It also featured an awesome appearance from “special enforcer” Chuck Norris, smack in the middle of his run as Walker: Texas Ranger.
Backlund versus Hart in a Submission bout for the WWF Championship was very long, slow and plodding despite giving Backlund a historic second WWF Title reign.
The Doink-Lawler elimination bout, complete with little people as their tag team partners, was a showcase in ridiculousness.
However the one highlight of the show was the evolution of Diesel. The Teamsters were one of the strongest teams in Survivor Series history but Diesel truly emerged as a mega-star on this night. He had started the push to superstardom at Royal Rumble ’94 when he eliminated seven men in a row. But on this night he eliminated four members of The Bad Guys in succession before his entire team imploded.
Three nights after the Survivor Series, Diesel stepped into Madison Square Garden and destroyed Bob Backlund in eight seconds to win the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.
That evolution of Diesel is what gives this show its novelty and certainly has to be a favorite of “Diesel” Kevin Nash’s career.
– The Bad Guys: Razor Ramon (captain), 1-2-3 Kid, Davey Boy Smith & The Headshrinkers (Fatu & Sionne) beat The Teamsters: Jeff Jarrett (captain), Owen Hart, Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart, Diesel & Shawn Michaels in an elimination match. Ramon was the sole survivor.
– The Royal Family: Jerry “The King” Lawler (captain), Queasy, Sleazy & Cheesy beat Clowns ‘R’ Us: Doink (captain), Dink, Pink & Wink in an elimination match. All four members of The Royal Family survived.
– Bob Backlund beat Bret “Hit Man” Hart in a Submission Match to win the WWF World Heavyweight Championship.
– Guts & Glory: Lex Luger (captain), Adam Bomb, Mabel & The Smoking Gunns (Billy & Bart Gunn) beat The Million $ Team: Tatanka (captain), Bam Bam Bigelow, King Kong Bundy & The Heavenly Bodies (Jimmy Del Ray & Tom Pritchard) in an elimination match. Bigelow and Bundy were the survivors.
– The Undertaker beat Yokozuna in a Casket Match.