Due to the winter storm impact upon our region, on Dec. 29 PennDOT has temporarily reduced the speed limit on several roadways in South Central Pennsylvania.
PennDOT encourages motorists to avoid unnecessary travel, but those who must head out will see speeds reduced to 45 mph on the following highways:
- Interstate 81 in Franklin, Cumberland, Dauphin and Lebanon counties (reduced from 55-65 MPH)
- Interstate 78 in Lebanon County (reduced from 65 MPH)
- Interstate 83 in York, Cumberland and Dauphin counties (reduced from 55-
- 65 MPH)
- Interstate 283 in Dauphin County (reduced from 55 MPH)
- US 22/322 in Dauphin County (reduced from 55 MPH)
- US 22/322 in Perry County (reduced from 55-65 MPH)
- PA 581 in Cumberland County (reduced from 55 MPH)
- US 11 in Franklin and Cumberland counties (reduced from 55 MPH)
- US 15 in York and Cumberland counties (reduced from 55-65 MPH)
- US 11/15 in Cumberland and Perry County counties (reduced from 55 MPH)
PennDOT has crews treating roadways around the clock, but the department’s primary goal is to keep roads passable, not completely free of ice and snow. PennDOT will continue to treat roadways throughout the storm until precipitation stops and roads are clear. Officials at PennDOT are recommending that motorists not travel during these winter weather conditions.
If you absolutely must travel, PennDOT requests that you allow plenty of space when driving near plow trucks. Also, for their own safety and the safety of plow operators, motorists should never attempt to pass a truck while it is plowing or spreading winter materials.
Additional safety information from PennDOT is a reminder that motorists pack an emergency kit for their vehicles. A basic kit should include non-perishable food, water, blanket, small shovel and warm clothes. When preparing an emergency kit, motorists should take into account special needs of passengers such as baby food, pet supplies or medications and pack accordingly. For additional safety and road condition information, visit 511PA.
For business inquiries or questions – email Yvonne. Check out Yvonne’s other columns on Pop Culture, Dating, Makeup, Women’s Issues, Self-Awareness, Sports and News. Click Subscribe or Like to receive updates when a new article is published. Connect with Yvonne on Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus. ©Yvonne P. Mazzulo, All rights reserved. No part of this article may be reproduced without prior permissions from the author.