On Friday, Glenda and Damien Moore of Staten Island said their last tearful goodbye to their two young boys, Connor, 4, and Brandon, 2, as they were laid to rest. The children, Hurricane Sandy’s smallest victims, were horrifically torn from their mother’s grasp and swept away by swirling waters at the height of the storm.
The New York Post reports that the brothers were memorialized before a crowd of nearly 1,000 mourners at Saint Rose of Lima Church in Brooklyn before they were lowered into the earth in a single silver coffin. Throughout the service, their mother, surely traumatized by her last earthly contact with them, sobbed uncontrollably.
The tragedy that claimed them occurred on Oct. 29. The SUV Glenda Moore was driving stalled in South Beach. She grabbed her children and fled the disabled vehicle to seek help, but the storm’s storm surge wrested the children from her bosom.
On hand among the mourners were some 300 of Damien Moore’s fellow sanitation workers. The department chaplain, Peter Colapietro, delivered the eulogy, telling the Moores, “The only thing that we can offer is our support as a family. We pray for your strength in these days—we know that you will need it.”
On Friday, police also discovered the body of the latest fatality of the superstorm. A separate Post article notes that a 64-year-old man who was found dead in the living room of his flooded home in the storm-ravaged Midland Beach section of Staten Island.
A concerned neighbor of the victim, whose name has not been released, flagged down the police. The home was situated yards from the ocean.
The results of an autopsy performed today have not yet been finalized.
- Gas rationing goes into effect in New York and on LI
- With 1.9M still without power, Sandy’s aftermath looking a lot like Katrina (Video)
- The mythical claim that reconstruction efforts after Sandy will grow the economy
- NY governor’s half-baked post-Sandy voting solution opens door to chaos, fraud (Video)
- Children arrive home from school to find parents dead in murder-suicide
- Pot-smoking mother who murdered children claims devil told her to do it
- NJ mother arrested for taking 6-year-old to tanning salon
- Prosecutor blames mother for starvation death of Brooklyn 4-year-old
- More horrific raw footage of tsunami rushing over coastal village (Video)
- The most disturbing footage from the tsunami yet (Video)
- Breaking: Newly released footage of moment tsunami struck (VIDEO)
- Breaking: Tsunami headed for Hawaii following devastating earthquake in Japan
- 18 kindergartners die in bus crash in China
- 2-year-old child run over and left for dead in street in southern China (Video)
Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can also reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.