Sex, drugs and rock and roll has long been the mantra of American youth and rebellion. In an era where sober is sexy has become popular, more emphasis is placed on the other two. Needless to point out, there have been thousands of songs recorded over the years that pay tribute to our carnal nature and prurient desires. Songs like “Closer” by Nine Inch Nails, “You Shook Me All Night Long” by AC/DC, “Porn Star Dancing” by My Darkest Days, and “Something in Your Mouth” by Nickelback are just a small example of some of rock’s sexual anthems.
Too narrow things down a bit, we are going to look at only songs that have “sex” in the title. While this list is by no means complete, this is our representative choice of the 15 Best Sex Songs:
1. “Sex On Fire” – Kings of Leon: A rhythmic beast that get’s the blood flowing.
2. “Let’s Put the X in Sex” – Kiss: “Let’s put the X in sex, love’s like a muscle and you make me wanna flex…” Kiss has always penned songs about sex, including tracks like “Lick it Up”, “(You Make Me) Rock Hard”, “Take It Off” and “Heaven’s On Fire”.
3. “You Sexy Thing” – Hot Chocolate: It doesn’t matter what kind of music you like, this soulful 70’s hit just feels so good and puts a smile on your face.
4. “Sexual Healing” – Marvin Gaye: “When I get that feeling, it’s like sexual healing…” Nuff said.
5. “Sex as a Weapon” – Pat Benatar: Perhaps ironic that a woman sings this when the shoe is usually on the other foot.
6. “Sex is Good” – Saving Abel: While it could be argued that the band’s song “Addicted” is even more sexual, this one is a keeper. “I’m not in love, but the sex is good…” We’ve all been there a time or 20.
7. “Everything You Do (You’re Sexing Me)” – Fiona with Kip Winger: A huge 80s MTV hit with sultry Fiona and a chiseled and unshaven Kip Winger. It simply oozed sexuality.
8. “Sex” – Motley Crue: The newest song on this list. “Don’t need no lovin’, no respect/ Cos it’s all about the sex (SEX!).” The Crue have always been al about they booty, as expressed in songs like “Girls, Girls, Girls” and “Slice of Your Pie”.
9. “Sex Type Thing” – Stone Temple Pilots: “I am a man, a man/ I’ll give ya somethin’ that ya won’t forget /I said ya shouldn’t have worn that dress…”
10. “Sex and Candy” – Marcy Playground: “And then there she was /Like double cherry pie/ Yeah there she was / Like disco superfly/ I smell sex and candy here…” A monster 1997 hit, but basically a one hit wonder.
11. “I Want Your Sex” – George Michael: Little did we know this meant from strange men in public restrooms. Still, very addictive song.
12. “Sex Ain’t Love” – Warrant: Famous for hits like the sexually suggestive “Cherry Pie”and “Love in Stereo”, the Down Boys returned this year with this smoky gem.
13. “S.E.X.” – Nickelback: The multi-platinum Canadian rockers are renowned for their provocative anthems, including “Figured You Out” and the aforementioned, “Something in Your Mouth.”
14. “Sex (I’m A)” – Berlin: The lyrics say it all… “Skin to skin/ tongue to oooh!/ Come on honey hold tight /Come inside, it’s a passion play just for you /Let’s get lost in that magic place all alone now /Drink your fill from my fountain of love, wet your lips.”
15. “Big Dumb Sex” – Soundgarden: Pretty blatant lyrics in this one.
A few more to ponder; “Blood Sugar Sex Magik” – Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Prison Sex” – Tool; “Rough Sex” – Lords of Acid, “Sex is Not the Enemy” – Garbage, “Sexual Man Chocolate” – Attack! Attack!, “Sexual Power Trip” – Blue October, “Blood, Sex and Booze” – Green Day, and “Sex Maggot” – Goo Goo Dolls.
Which songs would you add to the list? What are your favorite songs about sex with or without “sex” in the title? Sound off below.