When you give a gift of jewelry to your beloved, it is an expression of love. Choosing the right piece of jewelry that expresses your love takes careful consideration. You want to find that one item that will become a favorite piece of jewelry. The Greater Grand Rapids area features jewelers that offer a large selection of jewelry in both artistic and traditional designs.
Jewelry as a Romantic Expression
For centuries, people gave jewelry as tokens of love or signs of marital status in many cultures. During the Middle Ages, people exchanged poesy rings that were inscribed with romantic sayings. Married Hindu women customarily wear toe rings (bichiya) to signify their marital status, as a part of a centuries-old tradition. Betrothal rings were common in Europe from Medieval times through the Victorian era to signify an engagement. Today’s engagement rings and wedding rings are relatively modern Western custom that started in the 19th century.
Jewelry is an ideal romantic gift because it can be worn as a constant reminder of the gift-giver unlike other types of presents. Some designs can be worn daily with any outfit.
Types of Romantic Jewelry
Any type of jewelry can be romantic jewelry when exchanged between a couple. Rings, pendants, bracelets earrings and body jewelry can be love tokens. The jewelry can come in a love theme or simply be something your loved one likes. It may also be whimsical, but have special meaning to your relationship. It is best to stay away from a joke theme if romance is your goal to prevent misunderstandings.
Examples of love theme jewelry are:
- Diamond solitaire in white-gold band
- Replica of the Princess Diana’s engagement ring, now worn by her son’s wife, Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge
- Sterling silver ring inscribed with the words, “Yours”
- Yellow-gold filigree heart-shaped locket
- Tear-drop diamond pendant
- Charm bracelet with charms representing special interests of the couple
- Matching leather bracelets
- Belly ring with birthstone
- Yellow-gold toe ring
Promise rings are expressions of love and commitment for couples who want to wear a symbol of their exclusive dating status or to mark a pre-engagement. Married couples may also exchange them as love tokens that reaffirm their commitment.
Promise ring designs include:
- White-gold band inscribed with the words “Love”
- Heart-shaped ruby solitaire in a yellow-gold band
- White-gold Claddagh ring
- Sterling silver poesy ring with floral pattern and inscribed with the words, “All I Refuse and Thee I Choose.”
- Moonstone solitaire in a sterling silver band
- Sapphire and diamond three-stone yellow-gold ring
Tips for Choosing Romantic Jewelry
Romantic jewelry is a personal and should reflect your relationship. Here are some tips to help you select the right jewelry for your sweetheart:
Consider her personality when selecting jewelry.
- Match jewelry to her wardrobe. For example, if she wears a lot of silver jewelry, look for white metals like sterling silver, white-gold and pewter. If she prefers yellow gold jewelry, shop for brass, copper and other metals with yellow tones.
- Notice the type of jewelry she tends to wear and get similar designs.
- Ask a friend or relative what type of jewelry she would prefer.
Recommended Grand Rapids Jewelers for Romantic Gifts
Consider the following jewelers when shopping for romantic theme jewelry in the Greater Grand Rapids area:
- Metal Art Studio: Metal Art Studio offers unique jewelry designs that are creative and modern. The studio features the work of principal artist Scott Carey and his team of artists – Linda McMurry, Danielle Miller, Elizabeth Garvin and Bree Richey. They also feature the work of other artists from all over the world. View the current collection at 820 Monroe Avenue NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503 or contact the studio at 616-459-5075.
- Almassian Jewelers: Almassian carries fine jewelry in a variety of styles. The jeweler carries engagement rings, promise rings and pendants. Almassian is located at 1144 East Paris Ave. SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546. Call 616-949-8888 for details.
- DeVries Jewelers: DeVries Jewelers features many classic designs in rings, bracelets and necklaces. The store has many top designer brands. Visit DeVries at 411 Leonard NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 or call 616-454-6892.
Enjoy shopping for romantic jewelry, and remember that she will love whatever you choose because it is a gift from your heart.