Ha! As if there weren’t enough resort hotels in the desert around Palm Springs. Right? La Quinta, Hyatt, Marriott. Beautiful big places with tennis, Golf, and all the amenities one could possibly imagine. But only one place calls itself “… resort of choice for families, couples, and stylish sun chasers of all ages,” and that is Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa in beautiful Rancho Mirage. Tennis players from all over the world experience the resort’s amenities and location in the desert. How can you not love 25 courts in beautiful, scenic surroundings and a Tennis Director who knows his craft?
Kevin Connolly, Director of Tennis at Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa is a Pittsburgh native who not only coaches players, but also teaches coaches how to run a tennis club according to the Peter Burwash model. The Peter Burwash International web site states, “… offers individual tennis programs at the world’s finest tennis vacation sites and private clubs. From the Caribbean to Hawaii, from Austria’s Alps to Singapore.” Rancho Las Palmas Resort is a Peter Burwash managed tennis facility and Kevin Connolly is one of their star Tennis Directors. The organization named him Professional of the Year in 2010.
Peter Burwash International training clip with Kevin Connolly:
Rancho Las Palmas tennis video with Kevin Connolly interview on Groundspass.net:
Of the 25 tennis courts at Rancho Las Palmas Resort 8 are lighted for night play. The resort offers game arranging for members, as well as clinics, lessons, junior camps, Tennis Concierge, and all the usual amenities of a first class tennis facility. Kevin Connolly and his staff expertly manage a wide range of tennis events for members and for the public. He is proud to explain that his resort is home of the 640 player Easter Bowl as well as many USTA sanctioned and otherwise exciting tennis tournaments. He also points out that Rancho Las Palmas Resort is home of The Tennis Channel during the annual BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells.
What else can tennis players expect to see and experience at the resort?
- Splashtopia – Ringed by a 425-foot lazy river, this family water park encompasses almost two acres of family-friendly features, including two 100-foot water slides, a cliffside Jacuzzi, and, for the youngest tykes, a sandy beach and water-play zone.
- Tranquility Pool – the quiet seclusion of this all-new Palm Springs hotel pool features an adults-only enclave filled with comforting, elegant teak furniture.
- Spa Las Palmas – a 20,000 square-foot desert oasis featuring scrubs & baths, massages, body wraps, skin care therapies, “Desert Dream Rituals,” hair, nails, makeup salons.
- Resort Shopping – Las Palmas Boutique, Spa Boutique, Swim Shop, Golf & Tennis Pro Shops.
- Fitness Center – Brand new Precor and Cybex fitness equipment with Internet displays, free weights, Yoga classes
- Golf – Ted Robinson designed 27-hole golf course, includes three 9-hole layouts, ladies golf, junior golf, Pro-Shop, golf school and lessons.
- Restaurants – Blue Ember signature restaurant, R Bar, Splash Grill, Palms Café (with Starbucks)
Tennis players coming to the desert to watch the 2013 BNP Paribas Open in March will appreciate all that Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa has to offer. And the location comes with one more benefit: THE RIVER, the regions great shopping and entertainment center with a park-like waterfront, an entertainment amphitheater, live music, fountains and cascading waterfalls, and many fine dining restaurants. Driving from Los Angeles or anywhere else in Southern California to Rancho Mirage takes only 2 ½ hours and should be considered by serious tennis players and their families.
Did you enjoy this article? Receive e-mail alerts when new articles are available. Just click on the “Subscribe” button above.