If you’re stumped for some fun kid Christmas ideas, why not try having them make some popcorn Christmas trees? They’re one of the coolest popcorn snack ideas around, make excellent holiday decorations, and they’re fun to eat! Add to that these cute little miniature trees are easy to put together, making them perhaps the most ideal Christmas decorations for your kids to make.
Kid Christmas ideas: Popcorn trees
- 10 c. popcorn, air-popped is best
- 1 bag miniature marshmallows, 10-oz bag (or your homemade ones)
- 2 Tbsp of butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- blue/green/red decorating sugar
- 1 tube of frosting, white (make sure you have a decorating tip)
- A variety of Christmas candies
- Bag of sugar or ginger cookies
- Bag of dried coconut
- Put the popcorn in a bowl.
- Add the marshmallows and butter to a saucepan and turn on a medium-low heat.
- Stir the mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Remove from the stove.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into your favorite popcorn bowl.
- Toss the popcorn so that it becomes coated.
- Add some foil to a baking sheet.
- Spray your hands with some non-stick cooking spray.
- Scoop about one cup of the popcorn mixture and shape it into a cone, so that it looks like a miniature Christmas covered with snow. Make sure the bottom of the tree is flat.
- Place each tree on a cookie to make a base for it.
- Sprinkle on the decorative sugar.
- Pipe the white frosting onto the miniature popcorn trees, making it look like a white garland going all the way around the tree.
- Decorate the garland with candies like red and green M&Ms, skittles, candy cane pieces and other holiday candies.
- Sprinkle the trees with dried coconut and display on your dining table next to your other decorations like your gingerbread houses.
Follow me on Pinterest. Subscribe to this column to get regular updates right in your mailbox!
Read other articles by Buffy Naillon, Boise Food Examiner:
- Chocolate is good for you a new study says! (Chocolate lovers know this already)
- Peanut butter chocolate muffins: Unusual muffin recipes
- Old-fashioned bread pudding recipes: Traditional Christmas pudding recipe
- Ginger desserts: Christmas cheesecake plus Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart recipes
- How to choose a good wine and win trip to Paris!
- Enchilada soup: An easy, but hearty winter soup with chicken, cheese, and rice
- Mediterranean chicken breasts stuffed with hummus—tasty appetizers
- Gingerbread house decorating ideas to inspire your imagination and taste buds! (Video)
- To-die-for Christmas biscotti with candy cane crunch (Video)
- How to cook a Christmas ham the easy way
- How to make ham and cheese balls for the holidays
- M&M cookies: Christmas desserts your kids can’t resist!
- Holiday popcorn gift basket ideas (Video)
- How to carve a turkey plus an easy Thanksgiving bird recipe (Video)
- Thanksgiving books: The Art of Overeating
- Thanksgiving soup: Chili corn soup chowder
- Alternatives to turkey on Thanksgiving: Lamb, fish, beef roast, vegan ideas
- Thanksgiving dishes ideas: Mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup
- Pumpkin pie recipe alternatives: Flan for Thanksgiving
- Chicken soup recipes from scratch: Italian chicken Parmesan
- Nutella chocolate cake recipe: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
- Salted caramel hot cocoa: A sweet and salty treat for the holidays (Video)
- Recipe for homemade cocoa and marshmallows (Video)
- Minty ice cream lollipops with hard chocolate shell and peppermint sprinkles
- Chocolate peppermint ice cream cake, easy chocolate cake ideas
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Homemade chocolate pudding, Paula Deen lava cake