After months of speculation, Nike finally unveiled the Nike Zoom Revis, the signature shoe of injured New York Jets cornerback Darrell Revis on Wednesday night. Before the reveal, the shoe had been seen on the feet of Revis, but there was never any indication from Nike that it was actually going to be a shoe made specifically for Revis or if it was a brand new training shoe that would be a part of their initiative to grow the Nike Training brand. This will be the first signature training shoe from Nike in nearly ten years.
The reveal of the Zoom Revis comes at an interesting time due to Revis’ injury, which he suffered during a game against the Miami Dolphins back in September and eventually cost him the rest of the 2012 season. But with Nike going full bore in their NFL marketing efforts, it would have seemed odd to just put the shoe on the shelf until next season.
According to Sneaker News, the Nike Zoom Revis will be launching at the Champs Yardline at the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, NJ on Dec. 1, where Revis is expected to make an appearance. The first colorway to launch with the shoe will be a green and white look that matches up with the New York Jets colors. The price for the Zoom Revis expected to be in the $130.00 level.
Here is a detailed breakdown of the influences of the Nike Zoom Revis:
- The bridges in NYC served as a inspiration for the design of the Nike Zoom Revis. A bridge brings together two different types of surfaces and in much the same way, the Nike Zoom Revis allows athletes to train from wet to cold, inside to outside, and turf to grass.
- A “traction on demand” element in the outsole engages with the ground to provide the ultimate in traction on any surface when the athlete needs it most. The pattern represents the rivets on a bridge and the Volt colorway represents the bright city lights on the bridges in NYC.
- Nike Flywire is incorporated to provide lightweight adaptable support for lateral movement and extreme cuts. The Flywire design equals the number 24 on each side of the strap in roman numerals.
- The midfoot strap is placed across the shoe for enhanced lockdown and fit for lateral movement and quick cuts. This dynamic lockdown system and underfoot propulsion helps athletes explode on each first step. Inside the strap, Revis shares his favorite quote: “The only way to handle pressure is to apply it.”
- The visible full length Zoom Air sole provides an ultra responsive ride.
- The internal form fitting bootie for a comfortable fit. The word “FAMILY” is placed on the inside of the tongue in honor of Revis’ commitment to them.
- The TPU heel clip is included to lock the heel into place.
- Mesh underlays keep the shoe lightweight and breathable.
Follow me on Twitter and on Instagram be sure to check out and like the Examiner Kicks Facebook page and subscribe to our Youtube channel which is full of updates and commentary you won’t see here.