After causing controversy by publishing the names and addresses of legal handgun permit holders in two New York counties, the Gannett-owned Journal News is planning to release the identities of more legal permit holders, Reuters reported Saturday.
“The original map listed thousands of pistol permit holders in suburban Westchester and Rockland counties just north of New York City,” Reuters said, and the paper is now set to publish the information of permit holders in Putnam County.
According to Reuters, the county clerk said that it is still compiling the information requested by the paper.
The initial release of information angered Americans nationwide and prompted Dylan Skriloff, Editor-in-Chief of the Rockland County Times, to publish personal information of Journal News editors, publishers and the Gannett CEO.
“In the wake of the Newtown massacre, the bright lights at Gannet’s The Journal News decided it was high time to criminalize ordinary, law-abiding gun owners in the area,” he wrote.
“Under the guise of providing ‘public information,’ the Journal News’ editorial hit squad, led by publisher/hitwoman Janet Hasson, created an interactive digital map on their lohud.com website showing the exact address of every pistol permit holder in Rockland and Westchester County,” he added.
According to Skriloff, the paper did the same thing in 2006 and a “handful of other papers around the country have done this in recent years, as well.”
While Janet Hasson, the Journal News’ publisher, defended the action, many others were outraged at the publication’s obvious attempt to demonize law-abiding gun owners in order to advance an anti-gun agenda.
“We have a lot of hunters in Stony Point. I do not support the Journal News publication of permit holders’ names and consider it a violation of privacy,” said Supervisor Geoff Finn.
“This action is mind-boggling and indefensible,” added legislator and County Executive Candidate Ed Day.
Skriloff said the “only remedy” is for “the editorial board of the Journal News as well as executives at Gannet to receive a taste of their own medicine.”
He then published the names, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses of those involved and included pictures where he could, saying that “what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.”
“We wish no ill will upon them,” he added.
Reuters did not say when the list would be published.
- Report: CNN’s Piers Morgan upset Americans posing with guns in Christmas photos
- Sheriff Joe Arpaio sending armed volunteer posse to protect schools
- Daily Beast op-ed: David Gregory should not be prosecuted for breaking gun law
- Email indicates NBC used illegal magazine on air after being denied permission
- Authorities investigating NBC’s David Gregory for gun law violation
- Gun debate pits liberals, media against Constitution, freedom-loving Americans
- Report: NBC’s David Gregory violated D.C. gun laws on ‘Meet the Press’
- WH petition calling for deportation of CNN’s Piers Morgan reaches 25,000 signature threshold
- New York paper publishes names, addresses of legal gun permit holders
- Piers Morgan: NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre ‘dangerous, dim-witted, deluded menace’
- Yes, Virginia, there is a Democrat-media complex
- Ted Nugent to Piers Morgan on gun control: ‘Kiss my a**’
- White House petitions demand NRA be designated a terrorist organization
- New York Governor: Confiscation of guns ‘could be an option’
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Is it time for conservatives to boycott CNN for anti-Second Amendment propaganda?
- Classmate: Newtown shooter Adam Lanza had web page dedicated to Satan
- CNN’s Piers Morgan upset over White House petition calling for his deportation
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members after NRA press conference (Video)
- Discovery Channel cancels Ted Nugent’s gun show, says rocker will not be back
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee to America: Turn in your guns
- Meet six people who would not be alive if liberals had their way on guns
- Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members are shot dead
- University professor calls for beheading of NRA CEO, says NRA terrorist group
- Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- Should an apology from a Democratic Party Executive Committee member cover calls for mass shootings?
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members, repeal of Second Amendment
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
Be sure to check out some of Joe’s other columns:
National Crime and Courts Examiner
National Social Issues Examiner
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.