The Second Amendment clearly says that the right to keep and bear arms “shall not be infringed,” but New York Governor Andrew M. Cuomo, a Democrat, said that confiscation of guns from law-abiding citizens “could be an option” when the state legislature debates new gun control measures next month, The Blaze reported Friday.
“Confiscation could be an option. Mandatory sale to the state could be an option. Permitting could be an option — keep your gun but permit it,” he told an Albany radio station late in the week.
According to The Blaze, Cuomo plans to propose a gun control package in his Jan. 9 State of the State address.
“There’s a big difference of opinion on these issues,” he told Albany’s WGDJ-AM.
“I don’t think legitimate sportsmen are going to say, ‘I need an assault weapon to go hunting,’” he said.
But the Washington Examiner’s Timothy P. Carney says “there’s no real definition” of the term “assault weapon.”
“First, all guns can be used to assault someone – even a muzzle-loading black-powder rifle,” he wrote.
“Second, Congressional attempts to define this term were laughably ad hoc,” he added.
“Calling a dog’s tail a fifth leg does not change the tail, any more than calling a gun an ‘assault weapon’ changes its basic function,” Thomas M. Moncure, Jr. wrote at the Howard Law Journal.
Cuomo told WGDJ that he owns a shotgun and regularly hunts with it.
“There is a balance here — I understand the rights of gun owners; I understand the rights of hunters,” he said.
But the Second Amendment was not intended to simply protect the rights of hunters.
In Federalist Paper 46, James Madison wrote that the Constitution preserves “the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation…(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.”
“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe,” Noah Webster wrote in 1787.
“The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States. A military force, at the command of Congress, can execute no laws, but such as the people perceive to be just and constitutional; for they will possess the power, and jealousy will instantly inspire the inclination, to resist the execution of a law which appears to them unjust and oppressive,” he added.
In short, the Second Amendment was designed to keep the government from becoming tyrannical, not just secure rights for hunters.
Since the tragic shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary school in Newtown, Conn., liberals have sought to politicize the tragedy to advance an anti-gun and anti-freedom agenda.
Liberal politicians, aided by the Democrat-media complex, have attacked the Second Amendment claiming that all crime would stop if guns ceased to exist. Historically, gun bans have never worked as criminals, by definition, do not follow the law.
While Cuomo did not offer specific measures he would advance, the fact that he would suggest confiscation of guns from law-abiding citizens should be a wake-up call to every freedom-loving American.
- Is it time for conservatives to boycott CNN for anti-Second Amendment propaganda?
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members after NRA press conference (Video)
- Discovery Channel cancels Ted Nugent’s gun show, says rocker will not be back
- Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee to America: Turn in your guns
- Meet six people who would not be alive if liberals had their way on guns
- Actress Marg Helgenberger: ‘One can only hope’ NRA members are shot dead
- University professor calls for beheading of NRA CEO, says NRA terrorist group
- Democratic Party leader: Call to shoot NRA members not a death threat
- Texas Democratic Party leader, blogger calls for shooting NRA members
- Should an apology from a Democratic Party Executive Committee member cover calls for mass shootings?
- Liberals on Twitter call for murder of NRA members, repeal of Second Amendment
- Eric Holder: Time to ask ‘hard questions’ about Constitutional rights
- Do liberals really want a second civil war in America?
- Democratic lawmaker: Obama must ‘exploit’ murdered children to get gun control
- MSNBC: Founders who wrote Second Amendment ‘owned slaves, oppressed women’
- Liberals blame NRA for Connecticut school shooting, call for gun control
- Global gun control? Critics warn U.N. treaty would undermine U.S. gun rights
- Gun rights advocate: Obama said people shouldn’t be able to own guns
- Obama Administration working on gun control ‘under the radar’
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit and like his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
Be sure to check out some of Joe’s other columns:
National Crime and Courts Examiner
National Social Issues Examiner
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.