If you enjoyed New Year’s Eve far too much, you’re in luck! Not only is January 1st New Year’s Day, it’s also National Hangover Day and National Bloody Mary Day. While the only honest-to-goodness known cure for a hangover is well, time, some swear that drinking a Bloody Mary the morning after a big night, can cure whatever ails ya!
Fernand Petiot is often credited as the “inventor” of the drink when he mixed equal parts of tomato juice and vodka at Harry’s New York Bar in Paris back in the 1920s. When Petiot returned to the United States, he spiced up his concoction by adding pepper, lemon and Tabasco, and the rest, as they say, is cocktail history. A celery stick was added decades later.
Today, there are many varieties of the classic American cocktail. In honor of National Bloody Mary Day, why not whip up one or two of the following recipes below?
15 Bloody Mary Cocktail Recipes
- Classic Bloody Mary – This classic drink calls for vodka, tomato juice, salt and pepper, Worcestershire, lemon juice and a stalk of celery.
- Bloody Mary From Scratch – You’ll need Vodka, pure tomato juice, lemon, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, celery salt, hot sauce, black pepper and kosher salt. Add celery, pickles, olives and/or oysters or shrimp for garnish, and you are good to go!
- Basic Bloody Mary – This recipe calls for tomato juice, Vodka, fresh lemon and lime juice, Worcestershire, fresh horseradish, hot sauce, celery salt, black pepper, ice and optional garnishes include dill pickle spears, celery stalks and/or pickled green tomatoes.
- Bloody Mary Mix – This simple-to-make drink calls for tomato-vegetable juice cocktail, lemons, brown sugar, steak sauce, Worcestershire, prepared horseradish, hot pepper sauce and celery salt.
- Bloody Mary – This popular recipe, from the Drinks Mixer, calls for red and green hot sauce and Smirnoff No. 21 vodka.
- Bloody Mary – This 5-star drink includes green chili sauce.
- Spicy Bloody Mary with Pepper Vodka – This 5-star cocktail, from Emeril Lagasse, calls for fresh ginger, minced garlic, pepper vodka and pickled okra.
- Spicy Bloody Mary – This spicy recipe, from Bobby Flay, includes jalapeno peppers!
- Michael’s Bloody Mary – This 5-star drink includes spice rub, jalapeno ice cubes, red jalapenos, extra-virgin olive oil, fennel and lemon vodka.
- Bloody Smoky – You’ll need Bloody Mary mix, scotch, vodka and pickled onions for this drink.
- New Look Bloody Mary – This drink calls for vodka, tomato juice, dill pickle juice, lemon juice, Worcestershire, curry powder, Sriracha, celery seeds, black pepper, lemon wedges and celery salt.
- Bloody Murray – This recipe, from the North End Grills, includes Dijon mustard and whole peeled tomatoes.
- Tolstoi Stoli Bloody Mary – This recipe, from Bon Appetit, is actually served frozen.
- Bloody Mary Ice Pops – Speaking of cool, these popsicles for adults look amazing! You’ll need tomato juice, fresh lemon juice, bottled horseradish, vodka, ice pop molds and wooden sticks.
- Bloody Mary Soup Shots with Shrimp and Pickled Vegetables – If cold isn’t your cup of tea, try this soup recipe on for size.
Enjoy! As always, please drink responsibly.