It’s official: NASCAR is heading back to dirt.
On Wednesday night, July 24th, 2013, NASCAR’s Camping World Truck Series will take to Eldora Speedway in Rossburg, Ohio in the first top-tier NASCAR dirt track race since 1970. Eldora Speedway, owned by three-time Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart, is a 0.5-mile dirt track that celebrates 60 years of racing in 2013.
“I think it’s a great opportunity for not only the Truck Series regulars but also with it being a Wednesday night race, having a lot of the Cup Series and Nationwide Series drivers as well as younger drivers and veterans from the World of Outlaws, late models, USAC drivers that will have an opportunity to land rides for that race,” said Stewart in a teleconference on Wednesday. “I think it’s going to be a very historic day for NASCAR and definitely for Eldora Speedway. I think the racing has a lot of potential to be very, very good. We have a very, very wide racing surface. I think that’s always provided great racing no matter what divisions we’ve had there in the past.”
The schedule also includes the first international race for the series, at Canadian Tire Motorsports Park in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada on Sunday, September 1st. This also marks the first road course race for the Truck Series since 2000.
The 2013 Camping World Truck Series schedule:
- February 22nd – Daytona International Speedway
- April 6th – Martinsville Speedway
- April 14th – Rockingham Speedway
- April 20th – Kansas Speedway
- May 17th – Charlotte Motor Speedway
- May 31st – Dover International Speedway
- June 7th – Texas Motor Speedway
- June 27th – Kentucky Speedway
- July 13th – Iowa Speedway
- July 24th – Eldora Speedway
- August 3rd – Pocono Raceway
- August 17th – Michigan International Speedway
- August 21st – Bristol Motor Speedway
- September 1st – Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
- September 8th – Iowa Speedway
- September 13th – Chicagoland Speedway
- September 28th – Las Vegas Motor Speedway
- October 19th – Talladega Superspeedway
- October 26th – Martinsville Speedway
- November 1st – Texas Motor Speedway
- November 8th – Phoenix International Raceway
- November 15th – Homestead-Miami Speedway
Find out more about the Camping World Truck Series at www.nascar.com.
Quotes in this piece provided by NASCAR.
Check out Paula’s Examiner columns on motorsports:
- Motorsports Travel
- Joe Gibbs Racing
- Kyle Busch Motorsports
Follow Paula on:
- Facebook – Paula Thompson Freelance and rootshed.com Motorsports
- Twitter – @paulat14
- Website – paulathompsonfreelance.com
- Flickr – Paula Thompson Freelance
Contact Paula at email@example.com