On Monday, MSNBC’s Chris Matthews linked conservatives unhappy with the results of the 2012 election to Hitler and the 1936 Olympics, Scott Whitlock reported at Newsbusters.
Matthews made his comment while discussing the GOP’s poor showing with black and Latino voters with Howard Fineman and claimed the statement “has no bearing on the Republican Party.”
“The last guy to refer to the black auxiliary was Hitler,” he said.
“During the ’36 Olympics, we had Jesse Owens and a couple other guys winning the Olympics and they were saying, ‘Well, they had their auxiliary out there.'”
“Matthews, known for his verbal gaffes, prefaced the Nazi comparison by rambling, ‘…And these references are always dangerous, but I’ll take it anyway,'” Whitlock said.
Whitlock also observed that before making this comment, Matthews put words in Romney’s mouth.
“But the notion that the free men of this country are white men of property and that is really what Romney ran on, white men of property. He didn’t say it intellectually. I don’t think he put it in any words,” Matthews said.
“So, Mitt Romney didn’t ‘say’ or ‘put’ into ‘words’ his support for only white men of property. Yet, somehow, Matthews divined such an appeal,” Whitlock added.
Earlier this month, Matthews took Bill Maher to task for comparing the Romney campaign and Fox News to Hitler’s final days in the bunker.
“I think Hitler never works myself,” Matthews told Maher at the time. Apparently, that advise only applies to guests on his program, and not to himself.
- Bill Maher compares Romney campaign, Fox News to final days of Nazi Germany
- MSNBC’s Chris Matthews: ‘I’m so glad’ Hurricane Sandy came and helped Obama win
- MoveOn.org advocates violence against Romney in profanity-laced ad
- Liberalism: An ideology of rage and hate
- MSNBC still network of insane liberal hate
- Chris Matthews: Support for Romney driven by racial hatred of Obama
- Report: Witnesses say MSNBC producer allegedly assaulted Republicans
- Dick Armey: Chris Matthews losing touch with reality
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
Be sure to check out some of Joe’s other columns:
Spokane Conservative Examiner
National Crime and Courts Examiner
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.