Let’s start the New Year bursting with flavor without bursting our wallets or our pants.
The city of Seattle is a great place to live for the budget meal-minded. We have a plethora of places to procure fresh, varied, healthy, cost-friendly ingredients that is mostly due to our diverse cultural population. Each week I offer my personal meal plan. This plan is only to help spur your imagination and give you a guide from which to work. This plan is dinner only, however many meals can be stretched to breakfast and lunch as leftovers. I try to balance cost as it relates to the city of Seattle and its borders, flavor and health the best I can.
You will find that the last two meals will always be something of the vegetarian variety.
My personal grocery budget falls somewhere between $7-$10 per meal. All the meals suggested should fall into that range wherever you shop nationwide, but the cost here is specifically of relevance to Seattle stores and those on its borders.
If this is your first time reading one of my weekly meal plans, you may want to read a couple of my articles to help you plan and shop.
Meal planning part I : The basics
Meal planning part II: The shopping plan
Look at my other sample meal plans to mix and match yours. You can download my personal meal plan and grocery list template here. Note that this list is only so that you can plan for seven meals, but you do not need to prepare them in this order. You can also find a complete list of links to my own recipes at Index of recipes from the Seattle Budget Meals Examiner and Index of recipes II. Omit or substitute the protein in almost any of these recipes to make them meat-free, vegetarian or vegan.
Meal plan for the week of 12-29-12
Don’t forget the soup course to lower your budget and enhance your health!
- Whole wheat spaghetti / Trader Joe’s turkey meatballs & basic sugo: red sauce / salad
- “Roll your own” sushi (great dish for New Year’s Eve)
- Roast pork tenderloin salad
- Chicken adobo (Filipino stew) / steamed white rice
- Korean Kalbi Jim (braised short ribs)/Tunisian style cucumber-tomato pasta
- Five vegetable stir-fry (Laos)
- Vegetable Pâté with crostini / Vegetarian French onion soup
Monday Interesting Articles:
- Frugal Health: Eating right part 1: Getting started (Video)
- Treat yourself like company: Give yourself some ambiance
- Meal plan & grocery list template (pdf found in article)
- Spice list
- Pantry list
- Stocks: Increasing the value of your grocery investment (Seattle Budget Meals Examiner)
- Poultry parts: What can you do with them? (Seattle Budget Meals Examiner)
- When grocery delivery is cost effective (Seattle Budget Meals Examiner)
- 99 Ranch Market Seattle-Edmonds (Asian grocery)
- HT Oaktree Market – Seattle
- Uwajimaya – Downtown Seattle