Here are some details on Santa Cruz restaurants and food-related venues, plus a contest where you can win a food-related prize (see end of article for details).
Refer to my articles on selected Santa Cruz and San Jose restaurants open on New Year’s:
· Part 1
· Part 2
A few more restaurants open for New Year’s:
- Crow’s Nest
- Gabriella Café
- Lago di Como Ristorante & Pizzeria
Closed for New Year’s (Eve and/or Day):
- Casablanca (re-opening Jan 4)
- Charlie Hong Kong (re-opening Jan 2)
- Mission Hill Creamery (open until 1 a.m. New Year’s Eve until early morning New Year’s Day; closed the rest of New Year’s Day)
- Kelly’s French Bakery (Open New Year’s Eve regular hours; closed New Year’s Day)
- Tramonti (closed both NYE and NY Day)
New Leaf Community Markets – all locations are open both New Year’s Eve and Day, with shortened hours. See web site for exact hours (varies by location).
On Twitter? Please follow me @santacruzfoodie.
1) If you are one of the 12 people who won a prize during my recent “12 Days of Christmas” promotion, you are ineligible for this contest.
2) Pick contest A or B to enter – you can only enter one!
Contest A – Michael’s on Main has graciously donated a certificate for two people to enjoy its Tuesday night food, wine & beer pairing series. The normal price is $25/person, so this certificate is worth $50. These events include live music and occur throughout the year on Tuesdays from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. The next series starts Jan. 8 and lasts through March 26. Here is the January line-up:
· 1-8 We love Pork! In all it’s goodness….bring a bib for juicy pork spareribs, pork sliders, wedge salad with Corralitos bacon and more. Soquel Vineyards will be pouring and Ken Constable will be playing. Don’t miss it!
· 1-15 Crab Feed with Guest Chefs Paul and Terry Gregory Quick! Before the season ends…Who can be satisfied with just one crab dinner? Not us. Reservations are required to be sure we have enough crab for everyone. Wines will come up from Monterey County’s Scheid Vineyards and music from Jay Alvarez.
· 1-22 Cioppino – Soquel’s own Pinky Gilmore is known for her famous Cioppino. You usually have to wangle an invitation to her house for some but tonight she will make it at Michael’s. If you haven’t tried the Renwood Zin, now’s your chance. Also pouring the Lee Family Farms Verdelho. And they both go great with cioppino. Kevin McDowell will play guitar.
· 1-29 Grandma’s House Come on down for some meatloaf, mashed potatoes and all the cozy comfort foods from Grandma’s kitchen. An old-time Soquel favorite, Bargetto Winery will be pouring and David O’Connor will play.
Contest B – Kelly’s French Bakery has generously donated a $25 gift certificate. Choose sweets, savories, or anything in between!
To enter, email your name to email@example.com and include the words “Contest A” or “Contest B.”
Entry deadline is Sun. Dec. 30 at 6 p.m.
The drawing will take place that evening; the winner will be notified via email.