In the week and weekend ahead
• Christmas Friendship Dinner is looking for volunteers to help with everything from gift wrapping on December 15th through clean up and taking down the decorations on January 2nd to the 4th. Call 907-354-6115 for more information on days needed and duties.
• Palmer High Music Dept. presents Madrigal Feast For 2012 from December 6th- 8th. Music, food and a very funny play is included in the evening. The Dark Knights Invade begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are $25 per person or $40 per couple and provides scholarships for Palmer High Music Students.
• Alaska State Fair invites you to a Holiday Ball on December 7th. Doors open at 7 p.m. Music begins at 8:00 p.m. Tickets are $40 per person or $300 for a table of 8. Purchase on line at bit.ly/YaTHKB or call 907-745-4827 for more info.
• Colony Christmas begins at 11 a.m. on Dec. 7 and 10 a.m. on Dec. 8 at the Palmer Depot, 610 S. Valley Way. Visit multiple bazaars and craft fairs in downtown Palmer. Visit the Chamber of Commerce website at palmerchamber.org for more details or contact 907-745-2880.
• Wasilla High School Thespian Society presents its production of Joseph Kesselring’s dark comedy “Arsenic and Old Lace” Dec. 7 to 16. Show times are at 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, December. 7t , 8th, 14th, and 15th . matinees are at 2 p.m. on Sundays, December 9th and 16th. Tickets are $8 at the door. For more information, contact Dewayne Joehnk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Palmer Historical Society members of the public to share in old-fashioned holiday hospitality at the Colony Christmas Open House from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. December 8th at the Colony House Museum, 316 E. Elmwood Street in Palmer. There will be sweets, treats, hot drinks and caroling around the vintage piano. Christmas Baking Elves selling baked goodies galore.
• The Homeless Actors of Mat-Su Theater Troupe is holding auditions at noon, December . 8th at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 501 E. Bogard Rd., Wasilla for roles in its Valentine’s dinner theater murder mystery, “Wedding From Hell.” This will be a fundraiser for MY House. Men and women ages 18 to 80 are welcome to try out. Also needed are some bad musicians and a singer, too. For more information, contact 907-376-4252.
• A fundraiser to benefit 2-year-old Wasilla boy, Seth Bellamy, will be at the American Legion, December 8th.
• North America Outdoor Institute will offer avalanche field training from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., December 8th at the Meadow Lakes Senior Complex, 1012 N. Kim Dr., Wasilla. Course topics include: identifying and assessing avalanche terrain, trip planning and route selection, introduction to use of avalanche transceivers, shovels, and probes, emergency response.Cost is a $20 donation to help support community outreach programs. Pre-registration is required due to limited space. Please register at besnowsmart.orgFor more information, contact 907-376-2898, or email email@example.com, or visit naoiak.org.
• The Matanuska Susitna Orchestra, conducted by Kate Patterson and the Matanuska Youth Orchestra conducted by Kai West, will perform at 4 p.m., December 8th at the Alaska Bible College, 248 East Elmwood Ave., Palmer. Admission is free. We will, however, be accepting donations at the door for “Family Promise Mat-Su,” this is a temporary housing program to aid homeless families. The afternoon concert will feature traditional Christmas Carols we have grown to love. For more information, contact Kent McMartin at 907-376-2850.
• The annual Tuba Christmas Low Brass concert is at 2 p.m., December 8th at Salvation Army Hall, 210 Evergreen, Palmer.
• Community Christian Fellowship will present a special Christian Country Music program at 3 p.m., December 9th at Mid-Valley Senior Center.
• Santa will pose for portraits with pets and/or family members on December 8th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and the fun continues the following Saturday when a Nordic style Alaskan Santa will be available for portraits, December 15th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Professional photographer Linda Henning is donating her time. The $20 fee includes a CD of your portraits and all proceeds benefit Mat-Su Borough Animal Care. The event is first come, first served, no reservations required.
• Highlights for the month of December at Big Lake Library:
1. Build gingerbread houses from 1 to 2 p.m., on December 8th. All ages are invited to attend and make gingerbread houses.
2. Santa Claus will come to visit with preschool age children at 11 a.m., December 12th.
3. Local author Troy Warren will be at the Big Lake Library at 2 p.m., December 15th.