Snow is falling and the temperatures are dropping. Well, everywhere but Phoenix, AZ. We are embracing the beautiful temperatures from morning to night and preparing for Christmas as well.
Our children are excited to decorate the tree, mom is thrilled to hang her new or favorite wreath and dad is getting ready to hang the best Christmas lights in the neighborhood. Unfortunately during these times, the animals are ignored as their health is put at risk from the numerous and gorgeous decorations in the home.
This is an opportunity to share with you some of the life-threatening things found around your home or that you may be tempted to purchase to enhance your festivities.
Some dangers include:
- Mistletoe, poinsettias, and holly-can cause gastric (stomach) issues, vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and potentially cardiovascular (heart) issues. Turkey (or bones)-can splinter and break sending shards to the gastrointestinal tract.
- Chocolate, sage, and turkey-these are harmful as well to your pets and can cause gastrointestinal issues.
- Ribbon, tinsel, and bulbs-these things sparkle, shine and cats love them. But they can cause choking, vomiting, dehydration, and possibly lead to surgery.
- Christmas tree-the lights and decorations are enticing. Secure your tree so that your pets do not knock it down on themselves.
- Trash-many animal digestive issues come from pets digging through the trash. So before you retire to your bed at the end of the holiday cooking, singing and laughing, take out your trash and protect your pets.
Although this list seems extensive and you may be asking yourself ‘why decorate if everything is harmful to my pet?’ But do not be dismayed. Christmas can still be enjoyable while you make it safer for the whole family. As a parent cares for their children and prevents them from eating tinsel or a baby from eating table foods early in life, so should pet owners care for their cats and dogs.
Please use these tips and save your family money and an emergency trip to the Animal Emergency Room because Smokey or Spot ingested something that is harmful. Take precautions, know the threats and dangers, and act accordingly.
Let the bells ring this holiday as your family celebrates Christmas!
All Pets Animal Hospital
For emergencies visit Emergency Animal Clinic in Avondale, Gilbert, and Scottsdale, Arizona.