Although you can buy tasty caramel sauce for the desserts you serve for your December holidays, why not try making this homemade caramel sauce recipe? For pies, bread puddings, and ice cream, this topping can’t be beat! What’s better, it’s easy to make from ingredients you most likely already have in your cupboard!
Click on the video that accompanies this article to learn how to make some homemade vanilla ice cream to make your holiday dessert complete.
Homemade caramel sauce recipe
- 1⅓ c. sugar
- ½ c. water
- 1 tsp corn syrup
- 1¾ c. cream (use heavy cream)
- 6 Tbs margarine or butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a large pan, combine the corn syrup, water and sugar. Put on over high heat.
- Cook the ingredients until the sugar dissolves and starts boiling. Don’t stir the sugar. This can cause it to seize.
- As the sugar is cooking, combine the salt, butter, and cream in a pan.
- Put it on medium heat. Watch the sugar while you’re heating the cream mixture to keep the sugar from scorching.
- Cook until the cream mixture until the butter melts, adding it into the cream. When the mixture starts to a simmer, take off the heat.
- Cook the sugar until it begins darkens to a lovely caramel hue. This should take from nine to fifteen minutes.
- Swirl the pan as the sugar mixture starts to darken, watching it carefully; it can burn easily when it starts to become brown.
- When sugar mixture turns a rich caramel color, remove it immediately from the sauce pan and from the heat.
- Add the cream mixture. Pour it in a slow, consistent stream. The sugar will start to bubble and steam when you add the cream.
- Add in the vanilla, stirring it into the mixture.
- Drizzle the sauce over your holiday pies, bread puddings or the ice cream recipe included with this article and serve immediately.
Follow me on Pinterest.
For other dessert ideas in addition to this homemade caramel sauce recipe, click on the links below for more Christmas dessert ideas:
- Cherry cheesecake topping for those holiday emergencies; easy cheesecake recipe
- Chocolate Christmas cookies: Chocolate coconut macaroons, cookie exchange ideas
- Popcorn Christmas trees add new meaning to decorating with popcorn!
- Old-fashioned bread pudding recipes: Traditional Christmas pudding recipe
- Ginger desserts: Christmas cheesecake plus Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart recipes
- To-die-for Christmas biscotti with candy cane crunch (Video)
- M&M cookies: Christmas desserts your kids can’t resist!
- Holiday popcorn gift basket ideas (Video)
- Pumpkin pie recipe alternatives: Flan for Thanksgiving
- Nutella chocolate cake recipe: Thanksgiving dessert ideas
- Salted caramel hot cocoa: A sweet and salty treat for the holidays (Video)
- Recipe for homemade cocoa and marshmallows (Video)
- Avocado key lime pie made with yogurt
- Minty ice cream lollipops with hard chocolate shell and peppermint sprinkles
- Chocolate peppermint ice cream cake, easy chocolate cake ideas
- Delicious chocolate desserts: Homemade chocolate pudding, Paula Deen lava cake
- Healthy breakfast cookies recipes: Oatmeal, pumpkin, ginger, fruit and nut bars
- Easter dessert and cookie ideas: Sugar cookies, Zimtsterne, pumpkin pies, candy