Although Hillary Clinton was reportedly too sick to testify on the deadly attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, she apparently has recovered well enough to enjoy a “year-end vacation in Punta Cana, in the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic,” Dominican Today reported Saturday.
“According to press reports, the Clintons will celebrate New Year’s at the Puntacana Resort & Club and could also attend a fashion show scheduled for December 29, which will be held in honor of famous Dominican designer Oscar de la Renta,” Dominican Today added.
On Friday, however, CNN reported that “doctors have grounded her from overseas travel for several more weeks.” The report made no mention of the trip to the Dominican Republic.
The Huffington Post said Thursday that according to Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines, Secretary Clinton “continues to recuperate at home and will resume her office schedule next week.” Reines also said that “Clinton had no schedule this week because of a long-planned holiday,” Matthew Lee wrote.
Last week, CNN said Clinton was too sick to appear before Congress to testify on the attack that saw four Americans killed, including Ambassador Chris Stevens.
Earlier this month, The Hill reported that Clinton was also too sick to “discuss North Korea’s rocket launch with world leaders.”
“State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said Wednesday that Clinton is ‘really, very ill’ and has been too sick to speak by phone to Chinese and other world leaders following North Korea’s launch of a long-range rocket,” Julian Pecquet wrote.
“I mean, very – this stomach virus is a pretty vicious one, so not yet,” Nuland added.
“Aides and doctors say Clinton contracted a stomach virus in early December and became dehydrated, then fainted, fell and hit her head. She was diagnosed with a concussion on Dec. 13 and hasn’t been seen in public since,” Lee added.
According to Dominican Today, “Barbara Walters, Vogue editor Anna Wintour, Spanish actress Mar Flores and her husband Javier Merino” will join the Clintons, along with “other international jetsetters.”
Update: The State Department contacted Human Events to say that the Clintons are not going to the Dominican Republic to celebrate as reported by Dominican Today.
“The Clintons are not in the Dominican Republic. The Clintons are not going to the Dominican Republic,” State Department spokesman Philippe Reines said in a tersely worded statement.
Update 2: According to a State Department statement, Hillary Clinton was hospitalized Sunday after doctors discovered a blood clot had formed from the concussion she received earlier in December.
- State Department contradicts Biden’s debate claim on Libya security
- Wasserman Schultz: GOP ‘un-American’ for seeking answers to Benghazi attack
- GOP Rep. Gowdy on Benghazi terror attack: ‘I want to know why we were lied to’
- Report: U.S. diplomats warned of security issues 3 days before consulate attack
- White House denies State Department warned of possible embassy attacks
- House: Administration denied ‘repeated requests’ for extra security in Benghazi
- Retired officer: Obama watched Benghazi attack happen, sources say
If you like this article, you can follow Joe on Twitter @jnewby1956, visit his Facebook page, or subscribe to receive email updates when a new article is published.
Be sure to check out some of Joe’s other columns:
Spokane Conservative Examiner
National Crime and Courts Examiner
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe’s blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe’s articles at Right News Now, PolitiCollision and Spokane FAVS.