Tis the season for peace, joy, and presents!
This year, bring a little more green to the green and red by buying eco-friendly toys and gifts for the baby or toddler in your life. Here are some great, green gift ideas for the 0-3 crowd:
- Green Sprouts Stacking Cup Set – These cups are great for bath play, teaching early lessons in how water flows, filling, relative sizes. . .and how to dump water on your own head! They’re BPA, nitrosamine, and phthalate free, so little ones can chew to their hearts’ content.
- Green Toys Recycling Truck – Made from 100% post-consumer recycled milk jugs, this truck teaches sorting skills (bottles, cans, plastics) in addition to providing early “vroom vroom” and “beep…beep…beep” practice.
- Endangered Species Bath Crayons – A classic remade with green credentials, these fat, triangular soap crayons are easy for little hands to grasp and use. They are all crayon, too, with no wasted plastic outer coating. And the best part? A portion of the proceeds of each pack sold goes to benefit Defenders of Wildlife and their efforts to protect endangered species.
- Re-Play Dinnerware – Bowls, cups, plates, and utensils designed for babies and toddlers, made in the USA from 100% recycled milk jugs are a win for hungry kiddos and a healthy planet. The line is also BPA, PVC, and phthalate free, so no side dish of environmental toxins with baby’s breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Send them along with some Earth’s Best organic baby food for a great gift combo.
- Dandelion Classic Organic Toy Bear Blanket – This super soft little buddy is made from cotton that was grown without chemical pesticides or fertilizers. Conventionally grown cotton is one of the most chemical intensive crops in the world; choosing organic cotton in any fabric or toy makes a real difference in the health of the planet’s waterways and the diversity of its ecosystems.
- Hudson Baby Organic Baby Clothes – Speaking of organic cotton, these onesies bring softness and style to baby’s skin with simple artwork and great environmental sayings. The world won’t know what saved it when everyone looking at the cute little babe suddenly feels the urge to reduce, reuse, and recycle!
More and more environmentally-friendly clothing and toy options make it to market each year, but there are plenty of green imitators, too. You know you’re making a greener choice when you see the words “organic”or “post-consumer recycled” and when buying toys with a minimum of packaging (which Moms and Dads will love, too).
And last, but certainly not least, don’t forget to give green books! Perhaps the best green learning gift, there are dozens of nature and eco-friendly books for the infant and toddler crowd. Here are a few absolute must haves:
- On the Day that You Were Born by Debra Frasier
- The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
- Green Start books published by iKids
- Teenie Greenies books published by Random House
- Wild Animal Baby magazine booklet by National Wildlife Federation
Stay tuned for more articles on green gift buying for all ages. Please click on the subscribe link above to be notified by email whenever this Examiner posts a new article.