The so-called “fiscal cliff” is looming. But how does it impact LGBT Pennsylvanians and what should we do?
If we don’t speak up now, going over the “cliff” in early January 2013 could have drastic consequences for thousands of Pennsylvanians – including LGBT Pennsylvanians and people living with HIV and AIDS. If the Congress and the President fail to reach an agreement in time to avert the “fiscal cliff,” catastrophic and automatic cuts will happen with dire consequences.
Just imagine: access to life-saving HIV and AIDS medicines cut off while treatment and housing for the most vulnerable patients are trimmed down to nothing. Resources for investigating and prosecuting hate crimes moved elsewhere. Programs like the National LGBT Aging Resource Center and the LGBT Refugee Resource Center, slashed if not cut entirely.
Call your Member of Congress and US Senators in Washington DC and urge them to work with President Obama on an agreement that protects Pennsylvanians most in need, including LGBT people and those living with HIV and AIDS.
Reach your Member of Congress and US Senators here: http://hq-equalityfederation.salsalabs.com/o/35029/getLocal.jsp
So when I call, what do I say if they ask for examples of why no agreement hurts LGBT Pennsylvanians? Your answers are below. If Congress fails to reach an agreement it would:
- Hurt LGBT workers and threaten their employment security because federal agencies would have fewer resources to investigate claims of employment discrimination.
- Compromise LGBT health by reducing programmatic funding used to address the health care needs of LGBT Pennsylvanians.
- Remove critical resources from government agencies currently working to combat bullying and school violence against LGBT youth.
- Limit the federal government’s ability to address the high rates of homelessness among LGBT youth.
- Limit the government’s capacity to prevent discrimination in housing against LGBT renters, tenants, and potential homeowners.
- Hamper the government’s efforts to prevent violent crime against LGBT people through enforcement of hate crimes legislation and other similar federal initiatives aimed at preventing violence in this community.
- To read the complete report on how LGBT Americans are caught in the middle of this epic battle: http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/lgbt/report/2012/11/20/45372/caught-in-the-budget-battle/
The bottom line: LGBT Pennsylvanians simply cannot afford to be caught in the middle of the fiscal showdown. The consequences of not reaching an agreement will be particularly painful and everyone will feel it.
Please call your Member of Congress and US Senators TODAY and tell them to reach an agreement to avert heading over the “fiscal cliff”! http://hq-equalityfederation.salsalabs.com/o/35029/getLocal.jsp