A natural gas explosion in Springfield, Mass. leveled two buildings and sent 18 people to the hospital on Friday. The smell of gas prompted an evacuation about an hour before the explosion, according to Alisyn Camerota on “Fox and Friends Weekend” Saturday, Nov. 24, 2012. Boston.com reports an area employee claims that the smell of gas had gas workers checking out the area earlier in the week, but they found nothing.
Gas workers, firefighters and police were on the scene due to the reports of a gas smell; this is why they were among the injured. Score’s Gentlemen’s Club was leveled when the explosion happened just before 6 p.m. at 453 Worthington St., which was so forceful that it punched a gaping hole in the street. The club is nothing but a hole in the ground today.
WWLP-TV says that among the 18 injured are two firefighters, one police officer and two Columbia Gas of Massachusetts. None of the injuries, which are being treated at two local hospitals, are life threatening, officials said.WWLP-TV in Springfield reports that among the 18 injured are two firefighters, one police officer and two workers from the Columbia Gas Company of Massachusetts. Officials report that the injured are being treated at area hospitals with none of the injuries being reported as life threatening.
According to Mass Live, Lawyer Daniel D. Kelly, who represents the gentlemen’s club, Scores, said three months or so ago, the gas company was at 453 Worthington St. taking readings. He was unsure why that was being done. One of the dancer’s reported that the gas company responded earlier this week to the smell of gas in the club. Stacy, a dancer at the club, reports to the Boston Globe that they’ve been “smelling gas for four months.” Customers also complained of the gas smell, she claimed.
Workers had just finished up with their investigation after receiving numerous calls about a gas smell and were about to let people back onto the street when this large explosion occurred. The explosion was felt and heard miles away in neighboring towns. Witnesses from a distance away of the explosion describe it as a “mushroom cloud,” according to Boston.com.
Mark McDonald of the New England Gas Workers Association said it was a good thing people were still evacuated at the time of the explosion or this “would have been a real catastrophe.” Shards of glass showered the nearby streets, along with other debris.
Two buildings, a nearby daycare and a five story building were heavily damaged. Investigators will be back on the scene today checking out nearby buildings for structural damage.
One of the dancers in the strip club that was damaged, who didn’t want her name used, said the manager of the strip club told the girls, “I don’t care if your (expletive) naked or not, get out.” She was on the stage dancing when she was first told by the house mom to get off stage and get out of the building. All her work clothes were lost, reports the stripper, but she feels lucky to get out.