“The X Factor” U.K. judge Gary Barlow once again reunited on stage with his on-again/off-again Take That band mate Robbie Williams at Barlow’s concert at London’s Royal Albert Hall on November 27, 2012. The two stars performed a duet of the Take That’s “Eight Letters” and Williams’ solo hit “Candy.”
It was the second reunion performance in a month for Barlow and Williams. On November 5, 2012, when Barlow received the Music Industry Trust Awards at a ceremony held in London’s Grosvenor Hotel, he and the rest of Take That joined Williams on stage for “Never Forget.” Before all of Take That took the stage, Williams and Barlow duetted on “Candy.”
In an interview with the Daily Mirror, Barlow said that he expects the next Take That album to be released sometime in late 2013, followed by a Take That tour in 2014. Williams quit the group again at the end of 2011 to resume his solo career, but there are indications that he will rejoin Take That for the group’s 2013 album and tour.
Although Barlow is sure of his plans for Take That in 2013 and 2014, he is less certain about his future with ITV’s “The X Factor” U.K.
Barlow joined the show in 2011, but there have been ongoing rumors that he is quitting due to his feud with “X Factor” executive producer Simon Cowell, who reportedly wants to fire Barlow but is facing opposition from ITV executives who want to keep Barlow on the show. (Barlow has publicly admitted that he and Cowell are feuding.)
As rumors swirl about Barlow’s future with “The X Factor”, there have also been rumors that Cowell might return to being a judge on “The X Factor” U.K., but that definitely won’t happen in 2013, because Cowell is committed to being on a judge on “The X Factor” U.S. that year. However, when “The X Factor” U.S. inevitably gets cancelled (the show’s ratings have been on a downward spiral), Cowell could return to “The X Factor” U.K.
Will Barlow still be a judge on the show by then? No one, not even Barlow, knows if he will, but he doubts that he could work with Cowell as judges on the same “X Factor” panel.
Barlow told the Daily Mirror: “Could I judge alongside Simon Cowell if he came back? Mmm, I don’t know. I have enjoyed this series more than last year but the show feels like it has been going on for a year this time. “If this is my last year, I’ve had a lot of fun and enjoyed every minute.”
“I have got a lot of Take That stuff next year and then, hopefully, a tour the year after. “A new studio album feels right for us, it has always been in our minds. “The band cycles are obvious, everyone wanted a year off this year and now everybody can’t wait to get back into the studio in February and that is what we are going to do.
“So, hopefully, an album for Christmas and a tour the following year. Mark’s solo album is out next year. I was talking to him about it earlier today and he’s very excited about it. Then at the end of 2013, there’ll be a Take That album. We’re far from over. We’re all creative, we’re singers and songwriters. There’s plenty left in us, don’t worry.”