If you or someone you know has a fondness for sweet treats to eat, go grab your pitchfork! It’s National Cookie Day, an annual food holiday observed each year on December 4.
While folks have been enjoying cookies for centuries, legend has it that the origins of this delicious holiday actually got its start when the world’s biggest cookie fan, the Cookie Monster, proclaimed National Cookie Day in The Sesame Street Directory back in 1980.
Delightful and Delicious Cookies
These delightful “little cakes” come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and varieties. Whether you prefer yours hard and crunchy, soft and chewy or ooey gooey, cookies not only taste good, but probably evoke all sorts of pleasurable memories from days-gone-by. Who can forget dear old mom whipping up a batch of the family’s favorite cookies around the kitchen stove? And nothing beats the smell of homemade cookies baking in the oven.
Free Cookies on National Cookie Day 2012
In honor of National Cookie Day, why not indulge a little? Quiznos is celebrating the special day by offering “FREE” toasted cookies to customers on Dec. 4, 2012! Just stop by a participating Quiznos location and grab a free oven-toasted chocolate chunk, cinnamon sugar or oatmeal raisin cookie – with any purchase. But hurry – this offer is available only while supplies last.
And after you enjoy your free cookie, why not pour yourself a glass of milk, sit down with the kiddies and enjoy one or two of the fabulous cookie recipes below. Today is the perfect excuse to indulge and get your cookie on! Plus, you need plenty of practice to whip up that perfect cookie for December 24 when Santa Claus drops by!
25 Killer Cookie Recipes
- Chocolate Reindeer Cookies – Santa will love this recipe!
- Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies – Fair warning. These cookies, from The Pioneer Woman, look amazing!
- Peppermint Biscotti – This refreshing cookie calls for butter, granulated sugar, eggs, all-purpose flour, baking powder, peppermint extract, peppermint candies, semisweet chocolate chips and shortening.
- Peppermint-Chocolate Sandwich Cookies – Giada De Laurentiis shares this holiday cookie recipe that calls for refrigerated sugar cookie dough, semisweet chocolate chips, heavy cream, peppermint extract and crushed candy canes or peppermint.
- Original NESTLE Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies – This recipe is from the inventor of the chocolate chip cookies, Ruth Wakefield.
- Martha Stewart’s Chocolate Chunk Cookies – If you love chocolate chip cookies, this recipe is touted at the “best cookies of your life!”
- Cherry Double-Chocolate Cookies – This blue ribbon recipe, from Melissa Roberts, is perfect for chocolate lovers! You’ll need all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, butter, light brown sugar, eggs, milk chocolate, pecans and dried sour cherries.
- Snickerdoodles – This 5-star recipe, from country singer Trisha Yearwood, calls for all-purpose flour, salted butter, vegetable shortening, sugar, eggs, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and fine salt.
- Basic Sugar Cookies – This cookie recipe, from Martha Stewart, includes a homemade icing. Mmmmm…
- My Favorite Christmas Cookies – This holiday cookie recipe, from The Pioneer Woman, would make the perfect gift for teachers, neighbors or, well, you!
- Eskimo Snowballs – You’ll need quick-cooking oats, butter, vanilla, cocoa powder, granulated and powdered sugar, nuts and flaked coconut.
- Coconut Orange Snowballs – Speaking of snowballs, this recipe calls for all-purpose flour, sweetened flaked coconut, unsalted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and coconut extracts and grated orange peel.
- Ambrosia Macaroons – This blue ribbon recipe, from Bon Appetit, calls for unsalted butter, sugar, orange peel, eggs, flaked coconut and bittersweet chocolate. Yum!
- Glittering Lemon Sandwich Cookies – This recipe calls for lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Gingersnap Stackers – This 5-star recipe, from Guy Fieri, looks amazing! You’ll need all-purpose flour, baking soda, unsalted butter, molasses, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, sugar, eggs, crystallized ginger and vanilla ice cream.
- Turtle Shortbread Cookies – If you love decadent chocolate, ooey gooey caramel and nuts, check out this recipe from Betty Crocker!
- Dipped Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies – You’ll need creamy peanut butter, round butter-flavored crackers, chocolate chips and shortening for this simple-to-make 5-star recipe from Taste of Home.
- Madeleines – This blue-ribbon recipe, from Bon Appetit, is a classic.
- Triple Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies – ‘Nuff said!
- Cranberry Decadent Cookies – Bite into these rich and decadent cookies filled to the brim with chocolate and cranberries.
- Rugelach – This blue-ribbon winner, calls for all-purpose flour, cream cheese, unsalted butter, sugar, cinnamon, apricot preserves or raspberry jam, golden raisins, walnuts and milk.
- Pecan Pie Cookies Recipe – This recipe calls for dark corn syrup, sugar, butter, eggs, powdered sugar, flour and pecans or walnuts, peanuts or macadamia nuts.
- Bess London’s Pecan Tassies – Trisha Yearwood shares another one of her 5-star recipes.
- Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies – If you are a red velvet cake fan, check out this recipe from Ms. Paula Deen.
- Edible Photo Decal Cookies – If you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind gift, check out these amazing Photo Decal Cookies. They are too beautiful to eat!
If you’d prefer buying cookies instead of making them, be sure to check out Isabella’s Cookie Company. Made from old family recipes and baked with real butter and no preservatives, these all-natural cookies are perfect for the holidays or any occasion. Holiday cookies include Peppermint or Holiday Sugar Rush, Abominable Snowball or Little Baby Ginger.
Happy National Cookie Day! Today is also Santa’s List Day! And speaking of sweet treats for the holidays….
- 20 Free Gingerbread House Patterns
- 6 Festive Christmas Punch Recipes
- 25 Best Homemade Gingerbread Cookie Recipes
- Holiday whiskey balls & rum balls recipes perfect for Christmas
- Best pecan pie recipes for Christmas
- Christmas Eggnog Recipes
- 25 Gourmet Fruitcake Recipes
- 50 Christmas Cookie Recipes: Best Homemade Cookies for the Holidays
- 25 Gourmet Fruitcake Recipes
- 31 Decadent Chocolate Christmas Cookie Recipes for the Holidays
- 15 Homemade Holiday Pet Treats
- 15 Christmas Cupcake Recipes for the Holidays