Over the past year, we’ve documented all kinds of beauty tips, secrets and trends. But as we come to the close of these twelve months, what were the hands-down biggest trends of 2012? Here we go!
5. The Top Knot. This tightly twisted bun sitting high on nearly every celebrity’s head this year. From Demi Lovato to Beyonce, everyone was sporting a top knot this year. The thing about this bun is that it’s easy and quick, and can be made to look sleek and fashion-forward, or loose and casual. Anyone can pull it off (as long as your hair is long enough, of course,) and it shows off every girl’s best features: the eyes, cheekbones, and lips.
4. A pop of strong color in makeup. Yes, the dark, smokey eye and nude, glossy lips are still a popular way to go. This year, however, people had some fun by adding a pop of color to their look. There were plum shades worn on the eyes (beautiful!,) strong berry shades on the lips (dramatic!,) and even coral tones worn on the cheeks (strange, but okay.) The great thing about this trend is that you don’t have to take a huge risk to try it out. If you normally wear brown shadow, add a touch of glittery gold. If you usually wear black eyeliner, try a navy one instead. Or, on the flipside of course, you can always go bold. Try bright blue shadow, for example, or hot fuschia lipstick. Either way, a touch of color brightens up your whole look.
3. Strong Brows. This may have been the most surprising trend of 2012. It’s been more than 30 years since the look of thick, heavy brows has been even acceptable. But this year saw the return of full brows. It also saw two completely new ways to “do” brows: extensions and transplants. What?!?! It’s true. Presumably coming off the hot trend of lash extensions came brow extensions. The most famous person (we know of) to actually do this was Demi Lovato. And as for eyebrow transplants, if you’ve got thin or over-plucked brows- and an extra $8,000 to spare- you can buy yourself some nice, thick brows. It’s a procedure similar to that of hair transplant surgery, and it’ll be interesting to see how popular- if at all- this gets.
2. Nail Art. Now we’re getting to the good stuff. While nail art has long been a fun way for people to play, risk-free, with their look, this year saw an explosion of all kinds of nail art techniques and products. From decals to hand painting, from acrylic build-ons to national flags during the Olympics, nail art was everywhere- and it was awesome. As far as celebrities go, Katy Perry certainly led the way with nail art. She wore everything from Russell Brand’s face to perfectly-placed crystals. Nail art is wonderful because there are so many techniques and products out there, both cheap and not so much, and whether your nails are short and natural or long and fake, you can play a bit with nail art to give your hands a touch of glam.
1. Braids. Right smack at number one is the braid. Braids have been regaining popularity for a while now, but in 2012, we saw a resurgence of all kinds of beautiful braiding. One of the most popular ways to wear this trend was the simple side braid. Another not-so-simple was the Swedish milk-maid and Dutch braid looks. Celebs and non-celebs alike were wearing messy-looking, pulled-apart braids as well as intricately-braided updos. Every single style is unique, because the hair length, thickness and texture is different. So it was truly fascinating to see how one braid (or several) would be utilized in a style next. This was certainly the biggest- and best- beauty trend of 2012, and it’s definitely still going strong.