A big list of so-called “shortcomings” has been revealed by fans today for the recently-released Xbox 360 exclusive title, “Halo 4.” The list features complaints about the missing or downgraded features of the sequel when compared to the older games in the series. It composes of several categories: General, Custom Games, Forge, Theater, Split-screen, Campaign and Matchmaking. You can check out some screens from the first-person shooting video game in the slideshow at the top of this article and the list below (via Reddit):
- You can’t view the campaign terminals ingame; you must go to waypoint.
- Can’t hold the back button and move around at the same time.
- Scrolling through players in the scoreboard is more difficult. Instead of holding back and using the right analog stick to move through them, you must use the d-pad.
- The indicators for your teammates’ statuses aren’t as clear as they used to be. Teammates no longer show an X over their corpse. You can no longer tell if a teammate is shooting (yellow in previous games). When a teammate is being shot, their arrow flashes red faintly (compared to a strong orange in previous games).
- Can’t view which secondary weapon you’re holding.
- Removed the ability to make any variant of CTF other than Multi-flag CTF. This means 1-Flag and Neutral Flag don’t exist anymore. I don’t think you can trick forge into getting them to work either, since 1-Flag needs the round to reset after a flag capture, and CTF will not spawn a flag marked as ‘neutral’ unless there is someone on a ‘neutral’ team.
- Can’t make it so you can drop the flag.
- Can’t disable sprint.
- Can’t turn off/on instant-respawn. It’s off in CTF and Dominion, but is on in most (all?) other gametypes.
- Respawn time is a mostly irrelevant setting with instant respawn time not being toggle-able.
- Can’t modify CTF to have to hold a button to pick up the flag.
- Can’t make assault how it used to be. If you use Grifball to make Assault, then you are able to throw the bomb around. You can play assault by swapping the flag capture points around, but that requires making a map specifically for “assault”.
- Removed Race, Territories, Stockpile, Headhunter, and Juggernaut. Some of these were removed because of redundance, but other than for territories, you can’t make anything like them anymore. You can’t make stockpile at all. You can’t make headhunter at all. You can’t make Juggernaut how it used to be. You can rig together a race gametype using KotH.
- Can’t modify Flood in any meaningful way. The flood is required to have their three base loadouts with thruster pack, promethean vision, and invis. They cannot use any weapons other than the flood sword.
- Except for slayer, you can’t modify how many points you get for doing certain things. For example, you can’t set it so that kills count for points in a CTF game.
- Weapons you place down on the map physically (without using the ordnance system) won’t show up in some gametypes(slayer pro, infection), but they’ll show up in others(infinity slayer, CTF). There is also no option to turn the ‘weapons on map’ setting on/off, unless you’re messing with initial ordnance.
- Can no longer create your own power-ups.
- When setting extra points for a headshot kill in a slayer gametype, sniper headshots will not count for the extra points.
- Can no longer change the oddball scoring mechanic.
- Can’t use precision moving anymore (pushing the left thumbstick down in Reach)
- Can’t zoom in anymore.
- When placing objects inside/near walls on Ravine (possibly on other maps), it will push the objects away, even when using coordinate editing.
- When using magnets to align objects, sometimes the objects will not align properly and there will be a small but noticeable bump between them.
- You can set objectives to belong to a neutral team, but no gametypes support it.
- You can set ‘symmetry=true/false’ on objects, but there are no asymmetric gametypes.
- [Added] Magnets can’t snap to angles.
- [Added] The ‘reloading shift glitch’ was not fixed.
- You cannot view campaign or spartan ops replays.
- Unable to view replays with friends.
- In film clips, the announcer can no longer be heard (sometimes? Conflicting reports).
- Bad framerate lag on half of the maps, specifically Complex, Meltdown, Vortex, Exile, and Relay (not in matchmaking). Any map made entirely of forge pieces or uses a decent bit of forge pieces lags considerably in split-screen. The pre-made maps for Erosion and Ravine do not seem to lag.
- The HUD is cluttered. In CTF, it still shows how far away you are from the flag. The icons that mark objectives are the same size as they are in full-screen. Icons for initial ordnance are the same size as they are in full-screen. Weapon reticles are the same size as they are in full-screen (even in 4-player split-screen). The icons for objectives never leave your screen; this means in Dominion, you always have all three points’ icons on your screen. Medal names and how many points they’re worth still show up.
- Plasma grenades do not glow until you are very close to them.
- In Spartan Ops, it won’t let you view the week’s episode claiming that you can’t go in theater mode in split-screen.
- Removed point scoring. As a result, the timer was also removed (used for speed runs).
- Can’t search for matches based on best connection (international players being matched with the US player base).
“Halo 4” is the first main “Halo” title not to be developed by Bungie, who has moved on to work on a new intellectual property with Activision. Instead, the sequel was developed by 343 Industries, who were previously responsible for the remastered high-definition port of Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary for the Xbox 360.
Microsoft Studios released “Halo 4” exclusively for their Xbox 360 console in North America on Nov. 6. You can order the game in the following link: “Halo 4”