Get the latest from dSource in your e-mail. Hit “subscribe”.
When the fireworks go off in Las Vegas to usher in 2013, Nonito Donaire, Jr. will be amongst his closest friends and loved ones in his ridiculously decked out crib just a few miles off the strip celebrating like it’s 1999.
And why not?
The “Filipino Flash” has plenty to be happy about, especially after being hailed as the 2012’s Fighter of the Year all across the board, on top of many other accomplishments and personal victories in his life.
“There are a lot of great fighters out there, but I kind of just did my own thing, and just focused on winning each fight. I never really expected to become the ‘Fighter of the Year’, that was never really in my head,” Donaire told this scribe while he was celebrating on New Year’s Eve. “For me, if they do, that would be incredible, but I wasn’t thinking about it too much. I was just actually honored to be nominated… it’s pretty cool,” he added.
Donaire nabbed the WBO jr. featherweight crown against Wilfredo Vazquez, Jr. in February, then followed it up by unifying the IBF belt which he took from Jeffrey Mathebula in July. He then went on to face Ring Magazine’s #1 rated jr. featherweight in Toshiaki Nishioka, whom he stopped in the 9th round last October, and capped off his stellar year by retiring Mexican legend Jorge Arce in 3 rounds.
In a time when Philippine boxing needed a little boost after the devastating loss of Manny Pacquiao to Juan Manuel Marquez, Donaire gave fans plenty of reason to be happy about.
- CLICK HERE to listen to my interview with Nonito Donaire, Jr.
Follow Dennis on Twitter @dRealSource
- Can Manny Pacquiao ‘rise again’?
- Cuello’s manager Aljoe Jaro issues statement on WBC fiasco
- Mares putting the pressure on promoters to make Donaire-Mares bout
- Donaire’s message to Pacquiao: ‘You will always be a legend’
- Bad blood escalates after altercation between Team Donaire and Team Rigondeaux
- ‘Flash-banged’: Donaire obliterates Arce in 3
- The matador wins the war: Marquez puts an emphatic end to Pacquiao rivalry
- Mayweather gives Pacquiao a backhanded compliment, while Bieber pokes fun
- Michael Farenas Interview transcript on Yuriorkis Gamboa fight
** Legal waiver – By quoting, copying and using material from this article to your website, publication or blog, you agree to give full credit to Dennis ‘dSource’ Guillermo and rootshed.com, provide a link / hyperlink to the original article. **