The Chicago Bears are in desperate need of a win in the regular season finale aganst the Detroit Lions if they plan on playng in the NFC playoffs.
It is definitely the finale for the Lions, who will finish the season 4-12 and 0-6 in NFC North division play. The only bright spot for Detroit fans attending the home game at Ford Field Sunday is the opportunity to see wide receiver Calvin Johnson add more yardage to the NFL record for receiving yards he set last week.
Though Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher will miss the game, Chicago has enough talent to extend the Lions’ losing sreak to eight.
“The Lion who will roar” (Hometown Hero): Wide receiver Calvin Johnson had his worst game of the season when the two teams played at Soldier Field earlier this year. Expect Johnson to score between 15 and 20 fantasy points against the Bears.
“Above (not On) Par Lion”: Spaz, the magnificent football predicting cat, and I figure it is time to give the ball back to quarterback Matthew Stafford as he has a shot at another season with 5,000 passing yards. Given the opportunistic nature of Chicago’s secondary, Stafford will probably score in the 10-15 fantasy point range.
“Bench that Lion” (Hometown Zero): Stefan Logan will be riding the bench Sunday and may be appearing in a Lions uniform for the last time.
Week #17 Predictions: Deni (9-6) – Chicago 21, Detroit 17. Spaz (7-8) – Chicago 21, Detroit 13.
“I wish I had him this week”: For Detroit fantasy owners with stars from other teams, here are three players that should have a better than average game in week #17:
• Robert Griffin III, QB, Washington – Griffin threw for three touchdowns and over 300 yatds when the two teams played earlier this year. Griffin and Dallas QB Tony Romo should put up quite an offensive show.
• Tony Romo, QB, Dallas – Romo threw for over 400 yards against the Redskins in their last meeting. Forget defense as the two quarterbacks face off in a game with playoff implications..
• Arian Foster, RB, Houston – Foster’s success against the Colts makes him an excellent pick in week #17..
“Expect a Downturn”: Here are three players whose performances will take a slide:
• Nate Washington, WR, Tennessee – Washington and the Titans passing offense have been a disappointment this year. Even playing 2-13 Jacksonville is no guarantee of a productive game for the Tennessee wide receiver.
• Brent Celek, TE, Philadelphia – Celek is at best a second tight end, which isn’t what you are looking for in the final game of the season.
• New York Jets Defense/Special Teams – It has been a rough year for the Jets and it is doubtful that they can contain the Bills running game.
Which players do you think will surprise or disappoint us in week #17?
Here’s your opportunity to share your opinions and expertise with other fantasy sports enthusiasts and me. You can submit your predictions by choosing to “Comment” on this story or email me at email@example.com.