Calvin Johnson, aka “Megatron”, did not wait until the final game of the season. He broke Jerry Rice’s single-season record for receiving yards in a week 16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.
Johnson entered the game Saturday night just 181 yards short of Rice’s record. When the game ended, he had 11 catches for 225 receiving yards and a new NFL record. Megatron took the record-breaking football and presented it to his dad.
The outcome of the game was never in doubt as the Falcons turned two first-half turnovers into touchdowns and avoided the critical mistakes that have hindered the Lions all season. Atlanta running back Michael Turner was tackled for a safety with 1:21 remaining, but Detroit would have needed two touchdowns to win the game.
Megatron needs just 109 yards in the season finale against the Bears this Sunday to break the 2,000 barrier in receiving yards. Chicago is battling for the final wild card spot in the NFC playoffs and held Johnson to three catches for 34 yards when the two teams last played in October at Soldier Field.
Week #16 Results
“The Lion who will roar” (Hometown Hero) – Yippee: Wide receiver Calvin Johnson not only broke Rice’s record, but he also rewarded fantasy football playoff teams with him as a starter. He had 23 fantasy points.
“Above (not On) Par Lion” – Groan: Running back Joique Bell received 10 fantasy points, though the bulk of his 83 yards came as a pass receiver.
“Bench that Lion” (Hometown Zero) – Bingo: Wide receiver Mike Thomas nudged just above the zero mark by earning 0.5 fantasy points based on his one pass catch and one run.
Week #16 Results – Yippee: Atlanta 31, Detroit 18. Spaz and I picked the Falcons to win and I was closer to the margin of victory.
“I wish I had him this week” – Yippee:
• Aaron Rodgers, QB, Green Bay – Rodgers’ 35 fantasy points helped a lot of owners in fantasy football playoffs. He passed for 342 yards and threw three touchdowns.
• Drew Brees, QB, New Orleans – The Saints dashed some of the Cowboys’ playoff hopes ina 34-31 win. Brees scored 32 fantasy points with 442 passing yards and three touchdown passes.
• Tom Brady, QB, New England – Brady’s two interceptions took a potential “Bravo” week and made it into a “Yippee” event. Still, the New England quarterback did score 16 fantasy points.
“Expect a Downturn” – Yippee:
• Brandon Tate, WR, Cincinnati – Tate caught one pass for 23 yards to earn two fantasy points.
• Randy Moss, WR, San Francisco – Moss caught three passes for 44 yards and earned 4.5 points.
• William Powell, RB, Arizona – Powell has 27 total yards and three fantasy points..
How did you do as the fantasy football season comes to a close?
Post a “Comment” about this story or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.