The final week of the regular season ended with a bang when the Notre Dame Fighting Irish finished off USC to earn a (12-0) undefeated season. The SEC made a strong case with two of the better road victories this season. Florida outlasted Florida State with a dominating fourth quarter, while South Carolina controlled the Clemson offense in a 10 point victory. Both games were exciting and highly competitive until the final five minutes. Georgia and Alabama cruised to very easy victories on their way to the SEC championship game. Oregon refocused and came back with a nice victory over Oregon State. Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M dominated Missouri in their final game, while LSU struggled on Friday against a very disappointing Arkansas team. Johnny Manziel addressed the media for the first time on Tuesday afternoon. In the Big 10, Ohio State clinched and undefeated season by beating Michigan, and Nebraska used their defense and running game to win at Iowa. The Huskers clinched the Legends division and they will take on Wisconsin on Saturday night. The Big East had a couple of setbacks when Rutgers and Louisville lost the week before their big game. Those losses could cost Oklahoma an at large BCS berth if the don’t win the Big 12 outright. The Sooners scored an overtime victory over Oklahoma State.
1. Notre Dame: They are awaiting the winner of the SEC championship game. Notre Dame is a lock to play in the BCS title game. Their biggest wins came against Oklahoma and Stanford.
2. Alabama: Survived the loss to Texas A&M. Now they have to win beat Georgia for a spot in the BCS title game.
3. Georgia: Dominated Georgia Tech and play Alabama for a chance at the national title.
4. Oregon: They lost to a good Stanford team, but the Ducks don’t get the benefit of the doubt like an Alabama. Still a probability for a BCS bowl berth.
5. Florida: Had a great first and fourth quarter against the Seminoles. Might have the best defense in the nation. Looking for a BCS berth as well. The Gators still aren’t as good as Oregon. Hopefully we can see them play.
6. Kansas State: The Wildcats need to beat Texas for the Big 12 title and a BCS bowl berth.
7. LSU: It looks like the Tigers might not get a BCS berth, but that remains to be seen. They left some wins on the field.
8. Stanford: Beat UCLA last week and play them again for the PAC 12 title. They must be able to control the line of scrimmage again to earn the Rose Bowl berth.
9. Texas A&M: Their only losses were to teams above them, and they beat Alabama. Might have the Heisman winner along with a top 10 ranking. Johnny Manziel spoke to the national media for the first time on November 27th.
10. South Carolina: The Gamecocks proved how great their defense is once again. They are a few turnovers away from being at the top of the rankings.
On The Cusp
If you liked this article, click the Subscribe button to receive email updates when a new article is published. Follow William on Facebook and Twitter or connect on Pinterest and Stumbleupon. Find more by William on his music and sports page or New York group. Submit your mailbag questions via Tumblr.