With the reboot of the ‘Tomb Raider’ franchise looming early next year, Lara Croft is once again finding herself in the national spotlight. Crystal Dynamics’ latest game, aptly named simply ‘Tomb Raider’, is a complete reboot of the series that aims to tell the origin tale of the famous gaming heroine herself, Lara Croft.. Today marks the release of a whole slew of classic Tomb Raider games for PC gamer’s Steam gaming portal.
As a way of kicking off excitement going into the new year, gamers can now download the original first five games in the action-adventure series. Each game is available as a digital download for $9.99 each, full details are provided below:
- Tomb Raider: Adventurer Lara Croft has been hired to recover the pieces of an ancient artifact known as the Scion. With her fearless acrobatic style she runs, jumps, swims and climbs her way towards the truth of its origin and powers – leaving only a trail of empty tombs and gun-cartridges in her wake.
- Tomb Raider II: The second installment in the Tomb Raider series invites you to join Lara as she travels around the globe to retrieve a precious artifact before it falls into the wrong hands. The legendary artifact the Dagger of Xian, is said to give its possessor the power of a fire breathing dragon.
- Tomb Raider III: Thousands of years ago a meteor crashed into Antarctica and the shockwaves of its impact are being felt in the modern age. Lara Croft will follow clues leading to a deadly secret, boldly leaping chasms and blasting monsters that no one has leaped or blasted before. This time she faces a mystery that’s from way out of this world.
- Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation: According to Egyptian legend, Horus, son of the light, outwitted the evil God Set and imprisoned him in a secret tomb. Five thousand years later, Lara Croft discovers the lost tomb and unwittingly unleashes the evil God Set, fulfilling the ancient prophecy of his return to plunge mankind into darkness!
- Tomb Raider V: Chronicles: Lara Croft is missing in Egypt – presumed dead. Those closest to her gather together at the Croft Estate on a grey, rainy day for a memorial service in her honor Afterwards, the friends sit quietly together in the study of the Croft Mansion and reminisce about Lara’s past exploits; exploits that have until now remained a secret.
Today marks the first time these first five games in the ‘Tomb Raider’ franchise have been available on Steam. For more details on additional games in the series, you can check out the full timeline here. Do you plan on going back and revisiting these classics of gaming’s past, or are you just looking forward to the new release next year?