T’is the season for Atlanta’s favorite consumer advocate, Clark Howard, to kick off his 22nd annual “Clark’s Christmas Kids” program on WSB AM 750. Once again, Clark and WSB Radio have joined forces with the Georgia Dept. of Family & Children’s Services to provide gifts for children in foster care across Georgia. On Thursday, Nov. 29, Clark is broadcasting live from the Roswell Walmart to kick off this year’s campaign, which promises to be bigger and better than ever. Because of the generosity of Clark’s listeners, the “Christmas Kids” campaign collects about half of all the Christmas gifts that DFACs gives to children in foster care.
Here’s how “Christmas Kids” works. The Clark Howard broadcast team sets up shop at Atlanta-area Walmart stores. They bring information sheets that describe foster children and what they would like for Christmas. Fans of Clark Howard show up at Walmart, choose one of the children in need, and head to the toy, clothing or electronics departments. After buying their gifts, the generous listeners head back to the “Christmas Kids” tables, where the gifts are wrapped and sent on their way to put a smile on a child’s face.
The annual “Christmas Kids” drive is a wonderful way to teach kids about the importance of giving, not just receiving, during the holiday season. Simply stop by an Atlanta Walmart on one of the dates below, buy a toy for a deserving child and WSB Radio will make sure it gets to a foster child in Georgia in time for Christmas 2012.
Clark’s “Christmas Kids 2012” kicks off on Thursday and runs through Dec. 9 at the following Atlanta-area Walmart stores.
- Roswell: Thursday, Nov. 29 from 2-7 p.m. Walmart address: 970 Mansell Rd., Roswell, GA 30076.
- Dunwoody: Friday, Nov. 30 from 2-7 p.m. Walmart address: 4725 Ashford Dunwoody Rd., Atlanta, GA 30338.
- Marietta: Saturday, Dec. 1 from 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Walmart address: 210 Cobb Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060.
- Milton: Friday, Dec. 7 from 2-7 p.m. Walmart address: 5200 Windward Pkwy, Alpharetta, GA 30004.
- Duluth: Saturday, Dec. 8 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Walmart address: 2635 Pleasant Hill Rd., Duluth, GA 30096.
- East Cobb: Sunday, Dec. 9 from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Walmart address: 3100 Johnson Ferry Rd., Marietta, GA 30062.
If you can’t make it to Walmart, you can still help Clark Howard’s Christmas Kids 2012 drive by making an online donation to Salvation Army’s Angel Tree program, which helps to provide new toys and winter clothing items to youth from impoverished households. Click here to make an online donation this holiday season.
To receive future articles by Jackie Kass, scroll to the top of this article, and click on SUBSCRIBE. Do you have a story idea? Email your ideas to email@example.com.