Early in the New Year, Florida will celebrate literacy with week-long activities and events in observance of past efforts and current challenges to increase and booster participation by students, schools, parents, teachers and communities et al, with the focus being on improvement of reading abilities and acquiring an enjoyment for reading on a regular basis.
The following schedule of events and activities have been released by the Florida Department of Education for schools and communities to take an active part in the celebration of literacy for 2013.
Monday, Jan. 14: Celebrate Literacy, Florida! Kick-off Event and Million Minute Marathon Kick-off
- First Lady Ann Scott, Department of Education Commissioner Stewart, author Susan Snyder and the students from the Villages Charter School will participate in the kick-off of Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! and the Million Minute Marathon.
- The Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida Race Car will make a special appearance.
Monday, January 14: Million Minute Marathon
- Students from pre-kindergarten through 12th grade will participate in the Million Minute Marathon aiming to reach the collaborative goal of 30 Million Minutes!
- ·Join other Florida schools on Monday, January 14, 2013 for the Million Minute Marathon with a new goal of 30 Million minutes.
- “30 minutes…of daily reading beyond the regular reading program significantly increases student reading achievement.” –National Center for Educational Statistics.
Wednesday, Jan. 16: Horse Tales Literacy Project, Arabian Knights
- Students from local area schools will participate in the “Horse Tales Literacy Project”. Students will experience the “Black Stallion Show” as well as various literacy center activities.
- The Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida! Race Car will make a special appearance.
Wednesday, Jan. 16: Voluntary Pre-kindergarten Simultaneous Reading of Hot Rod Hamster, by Cynthia Lord
- Teachers and students across the state will participate in a simultaneous reading event beginning at 9:30 am.
Friday, Jan. 18: Million Minute Marathon
- School districts will collect and submit their Million Minute Marathon data – striving to reach 30 Million!
REF: Florida Department of Education www.fldoe.org