Looking back on 2012 we cannot help noticing how far we have come as a community. In our first year together we have built a powerful movement that is creating safer streets and more livable communities. Here is a snapshot of our success by the numbers in 2012:
• 247 individuals added their voice to our powerful movement by becoming Bike Cleveland members, bringing our membership to 297.
• 42+ times Bike Cleveland was mentioned or interviewed in the media, keeping cycling on the mind of all Greater Clevelanders.
• 3.15 new miles of bike facilities, including the opening of the Lake to Lakes Trail and the Lorain Carnegie Bikeway. Plus in the spring 1.7 miles of bike lanes will be painted on Detroit Avenue in Cleveland.
4 changes to the Cleveland driving code that make our streets safer for people on a bike, including a 3-ft passing requirement when motorists pass a bicycle.
$10,000 in pro-bono communication services from Dix & Eaton to create a professional and effective bike safety public awareness campaign that will launch in the spring.
• 140+ new bike racks installed thanks to MetroMetal Works, the City of Cleveland, and Rustbelt Welding.
2 on-street bike parking corrals installed – the first in Lakewood at the Root Cafe and the second, the BikeBox, in Ohio City at Nano Brew.
• 591 Greater Clevelanders logged over 281,000 miles this summer in the National Bike Challenge burning 6,000,000 calories and keeping 257,000 pounds of C02 out of the atmosphere.
• 1200+ people who love bikes got together for over a dozen Bike Cleveland socials and events
• 60+ videos submitted for the Raleigh Bicycles and Century Cycles My Reasons to Ride contest, telling the love story of the people who bike in Greater Cleveland.
Help us continue to make Greater Cleveland a place where everyone can safely experience the joy of riding a bike by making a year-end tax deductible donation to Bike Cleveland today.With your support we will continue to build off the momentum for biking in 2013 and make Greater Cleveland known as a city that is a safe and fun to ride a bike.
Bike Cleveland is your advocacy organization. We are a powerful movement that represents thousands of people who choose to ride a bike, whether for riding out of necessity, commuting to work, running errands, environmental impact, personal health, competition, or just for fun. For you, and all of Greater Cleveland, we work to make our community a more bicycle-friendly place.