Every year, game publishers release tons of new or improved games for the masses to absorb. Expectedly the usual suspects chime in, “Grey Shooter 3,” “Improved Online Bash 4” and everyone’s favorite “Halo 16: Master Chief’s New Hat.”
With all that out of the way, 2012 has brought forth a ton of improvements to franchises and released many new games to tickle the collective fancies of gamers worldwide.
Here is a list of the best games of 2012.
10. Diablo III- Before everyone loses their cool, hold on. Diablo III was a good game. It wasn’t what everyone expected, but as a standalone it was quite enjoyable. Beautifully crafted environments, difficult enemies and a story that most people skipped are all on display. The downfall of Diablo 3 was in the expectations. It was so anticipated that it was doomed from the get-go. Diablo III had its flaws, but all in all it deserves a spot as one of the top games this year.
9. The Walking Dead Game: Episodes 1-5- With the popularity of The Walking Dead series, it is no surprise that there are a slew of video games based on the popular show. Telltale released their episodic adventure game originally for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC. Soon after the initial success of the games they made a port to the tablet. The fun thing about The Walking Dead Game is the immersion and the choice system; which makes each play-through different. The story varies based on your reaction times and choices.
8. Sleeping Dogs- Each year there are sandbox adventure games the likes of Grand Theft Auto. This year the best of the lot is Sleeping Dogs. The game incorporates a martial arts hand-to-hand combat system with the already popular gun blaze/auto theft genre. You get to take on the mob as an undercover police officer and show off some of those parkour moves that no one knew you had. The game fills the void until the next GTA game releases.
7. Smite- From Hi-Rez studios comes a new look on the popular MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) games. Take control of a powerful god and lay the smack down on another deity that another player controls. Thor, Freya, Hades, Kali and Cupid are just some of the gods available and even more are on the way. While technically not launched yet, the game has pretty much been released via the extended beta. Also it’s free.
6. Pokemon: Black & White 2- A hold-me-over while the next colorful installment of the Pokemon franchise looms. B&W2 are a new adventure set in the familiar Unova region. Two years after all the commotion of the first installment, new gyms, Pokemon and adventures are brought to all fans of the popular RPG.
5. NBA 2K13- 2K Sports is back with a rim-rattler that has fans of the NBA in awe. 2K13 proves why sports games are worth the investment year after year. New MyPlayer mode options, trick stick and a polished look that makes every replay a joy to behold. The big boys from 2K hold their dominance on the NBA franchise, take notes EA. )
4. Assassin’s Creed 3- Desmond is back to his old tricks in the newest installment of Assassin’s Creed. He travels back in time and recalls the events of his ancestor who is half Native-American, half white. The stylish parkour assassination-based game delights with its gorgeous polish and delicious death animations. It’s the same old story we have all heard, but one that tickles the violent assassin in all. Please disregard the PSVita version.
3. Max Payne 3- Rockstar games have brought back Max in his quest to die drunk in the gutter. This time we can assist in his demise. Armed with stylish cut-scenes, bullet time and overly violent death sequences Mr. Payne is the perfect dreary sight to the colorful Brazilian underground. The only complaint might be the length of the game. The multiplayer is pretty darn sweet.
2. Dishonored- Bethesda Studios released their newest revenge-based first-person steam-punk adventure game. Dishonored is the first release for Bethesda since Skyrim, which led it to fly a bit under the radar. Powers to control time, animals and minds are all at your disposal. Make a plague of rats armed with explosive traps and watch as your enemies drop before you, oh the delight.
1. Borderlands 2- Go back to Pandora in search of the Vault with four new faces and some old friends to help. The cel-shaded first-person shooter is back to give you all that explosive fun you’ve missed. Full of jokes, quirky characters and millions of weapons, Borderlands 2 welcomes you to a familiar world for some new adventures. Attend a robot’s birthday party, help a weapon shop owner get lewd photos of his ex-wife or just blow stuff up. Team up with friends online and share in all the outlandish delights. Gearbox puts the “fun” in “fundamentally insane.”